Profile Picture

Split Rims?

Posted By BinderGuyKyle 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
ucDoug Blevins (12/8/2016)
Junkmandan (12/8/2016)
I had a '53 GMC and a '68 GMC that had the Firestone RH-5* rims.

My 54 GMC 250 2 ton has them, still on the rear, replaced the 2 on the steer, they were 7:00 x 18" I am going to get rid of them, as the only tires I can find are $$$$

Forot to mention, mine are the 8 lug same as a 3/4 ton pickup. I put some 6.50 x 16.5 lock ring wheels on the steers with the correct back spacing for a Dually truck, they even have the tabs for mounting the pickup style baby moon hubcaps!

whole bunch of scrap iron! some actually runs! Most just eat money and take up space in my yard

Brocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Tony
I have 4 good tires on the drives and whenever I replace the steering I plan on looking for other, safer rims.

Brocky
Doug Blevins
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)

Junkmandan (12/8/2016)

My 54 GMC 250 2 ton has them, still on the rear, replaced the 2 on the steer, they were 7:00 x 18" I am going to get rid of them, as the only tires I can find are $$$$

whole bunch of scrap iron! some actually runs! Most just eat money and take up space in my yard

Park Olson
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)

I have a pair of them on my '57 F600,,,,dated 1972, I think.
    Knocked 'em down, cleaned 'em up, they were fine, a REAL truck tire guy checked and mounted the tires.
     In saving some older tires, I broke down 4 old GMC wheels of that type and they were terrible inside.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PROGRESS WAS ALRIGHT ONCE, BUT IT HAS GONE ON TOO LONG

Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I've got a couple of those 7.5-20s free to a good home. Waiting fro Brocky to stop by and pick them up for his Ford. LOL

Tony
Junkmandan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Geoff Weeks
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 34 seconds ago
Also known as semi drop center rims, only made for "budd" type wheels not spokes. Easy to distort, hard to tell if locked without getting your head right in the line of fire. They are the only multi piece rims I will not use.
Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Is this the type rim Rick is thinking of?
Firestone RH5*

I'm sure they were on many others but I only remember them on Fords in the '50.

Tony
Geoff Weeks
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 34 seconds ago
I am sitting on lock-ring Budds as I right this, I say finding good tube type tires has gotten harder, but not impossible. I really like the Hankook AH11's and have a bunch of them, not a bad tire in the lot. 10.00 R 20's
Yea, Jim I have a K series IHC that sits on those splits. 

Tube type work a whole lot better if you clean the rust off and paint them, let the paint dry hard before mounting a tire.
  Next follow the correct procedure, use tire talc or corn starch to lube the tube, once the tire, flap and tube assembly is on the rim, Make sure the valve stem is centered in the slot. inflate with the core out to 20 psi, the tire should seat the bead over the lock ring at that pressure. Deflate completely and install the core, then re inflate to 20 psi and CLOSELY inspect the assembly, if everything is properly seated, go ahead and fully inflate in a cage if you wish, but if you did the job as described, it will not come apart. This assumes you checked the lock-ring /rim to see they are made for eachother and there are no cracks in the rim, gutter, or ring.

Nothing piss's me off more than to see someone strikeing  the lock ring with a hammer while inflating, all that does in make stress point in the ring, If the rim wasn't all rusty the tire alone will seat the ring, in fact you can put a finger on the space where the ring comes together and feel the space get smaller as the tire is inflated. Once the bead is over the ring it CAN"T come out, you could break the ring into 3 pieces and it still can't come out of the groove with the bead over the ring.
grenfell34
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Last Active: 2 days ago
Jim Rose (12/7/2016)
Rick:  The split rim was the easiest of all the multipiece rims to change. Even if the tire had been in the hog lot or the flower bed for ten years it was no problem to remove the tire from the rim. Are you sure that you have changed a split rim or just solid  rims with a lock rim? 

Rick Knox (12/7/2016)
Back in my youth, I used to hate seeing a split rim come into the truck stop with a flat. I hated fixing those darn things

jim down here split rim / lockring is still fairly common both Dayton and pommy 10 stud although  tube type tyres are getting hard to find
most older drivers / mechanics have no problem with them and ive yet to have a tyre shop refuse to touch em unlike my experiances in the u.s?? but I do my own
just demounted 8 for a trl and fitted good used 10-100-20 chinese tyres all in less time than 2-3 tubeless[ive only got tyre levers n a block of wood]
oh yeah and a modified sledgehammer to break the bead seal
neatest deal were the german trilex 3 piece rims fitted to MAN,s you could change a tyre in a few minutes just needed one special shape lever!!
pretty slick but yrs ago I had a bloke with a MAN grounded at a weighbridge  by rta   [dot] with  6 cracked rims!!!
tried to explain the deal to the inspector over the phone but he would not listen!!
so I thru a wheel in the ute and a lever and went out n gave him a demo on the middle of the bridge!!!!! he grumbled something and went in and  cleared the truck lol

1Image result for trilex truck rims pics