William H Campbell --- "THE AUTOCAR TRUCK MAN" --- 1915 - 2012

Posted By eymurphey 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

William H Campbell --- "THE AUTOCAR TRUCK MAN" --- 1915 - 2012

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
In doing my research on Bill's ads and in my brief time talking with him, I got the impression that he was often given AUTOCAR promo photos to work from -- a couple of examples --

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8211421792_4397f40856_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/7981031757_519a62b89d_b.jpg

And this one I recently found ---

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8526/8517569332_2de89bb869_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/7981032203_a73e6fc941_b.jpg

Now, if only I could find Bill's original artworks!!!

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

I'm where I'm at when I'm all there! But,when I'm here, how can I be all there?

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)

Bill Campbell's obituary --

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/177122131.html?fb_action_ids=4226520054417&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

George Murphey --

Michelle Cole
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for posting. Collecting truck ads is something I have never done. It would be a good addition to our truck collecting. I have collected license plates for years, and have many truck plates as well as license plates for cars.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Michelle Cole (03/11/2012)
Murphey, do you have a link to his works that you have put together? If would you mind posting it, I as I am sure a lot of the others on this board would enjoy seeing it.

Thank you Michelle --- It was already posted in the Autocar thread, but here it is again --

The artwork in these ads was done by William H. Campbell for Autocar Trucks of Ardmore, Pa., while Bill worked for Grey & Rodgers Ad Agency in Philadelphia, Pa. The ads appeared in Life, Time, and Business Week from 1943 - 1948 and are seen here in order of there appearance.

You can also check out my FLIKR set of Bill's works ---

William H. Campbell Autocar Truck Ads -- 1943-47

George Murphey --

Michelle Cole
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Murphey, do you have a link to his works that you have put together? If would you mind posting it, I as I am sure a lot of the others on this board would enjoy seeing it.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I don't think my friend Bruce would mind my posting his tribute to our mutual friend Bill -------

My friend, Bill, died last night. The man was astonishingly clear as recently as my last visit on Saturday, his memories intact. Here is a bio he asked me to write for him to fit on a sheet of letterhead.

<< There was no epiphany that launched William H. Campbell into his career as an artist. As best as he can remember, he has always been. While his father took him to see sports, such as the Frankford Yellow Jackets, winners of the 1926 NFL Championship, his mother cultivated his love of art. Starting in 1920, she would take him regularly to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts to see the Annual shows, a long journey on a meandering trolley before the Frankford el was installed.

Born in Philadelphia on the 14th September 1915, it is also Philadelphia which gave him his formal art education, starting when he was 9-years-old at La France Art Institute. During the 1930s in what has now become the University of the Arts, he studied under Gertrude Schell, Thornton Oakley, and Alexey Brodovitch. There was also one summer excursion in 1935 to Rockport, Massachusetts where Campbell received training from Earl Horter, an exceptional teacher and role model, who awakened Campbell's interest in abstract art. Campbell would eventually become known as the Grandfather of Philadelphia's Abstract Art Movement, yet he continued to work in both representational and abstract paintings, even as he labored in long careers as an illustrator, designer, teacher, and art director.
Even now, the gouaches he painted of Autocar trucks, produced while a commissioned artist employed at Grey & Rodgers of Philadelphia in the 1940s, have been become a sensation on the internet, with the Autocar magazine advertisements having become collectibles.

He did not serve in World War Two, due to a childhood fall on a staircase, an injury that caused him to injure his left arm and shoulder, which did not heal properly. Some of the damage was not detected until he was in high school. After the war there were trips to Mexico in 1947 and to Europe and Great Britain in 1956.

Campbell is a charter member of Artists Equity and was President of the Artists Guild from 1951 to 1952. He is listed in Who's Who in American Art and Who's Who in the East. He has been a member of the Philadelphia Sketch Club since 1939. Campbell has curated several exhibitions of local artists. Hundreds of his works can be found in private and public collections. He has also indirectly contributed to the musical arts by co-founding with his wife, Jeanette, and three other couples, The Main Point [1964-1981]. This famous coffeehouse was located in Bryn Mawr and attracted such performers as Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Arlo Guthrie, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, Leonard Cohen, Doc Watson, Tom Rush, Odetta, and Bruce Springsteen, to name a few.

In 1970, he moved into his present address because it provided him with facilities for producing bigger canvases and to concentrate on pure abstractions.

___
bhb

George Murphey --

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I never met the man, but I certainly respect his work. I have an acquaintance that can print pictures on T-shirts. I have had 2 done with William Campbell Autocar ad pictures. I wear them to the car and truck shows I go to, so when someone asks what I am working on I can show them, rather than try to explain.
I think I have a copy of each U model Autocar ad he did.http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/f4546f11-c0b0-48f1-80b5-9e05.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/da542e94-9580-46aa-83d4-8cba.JPG

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I received a call from my friend Bruce Bentzman that our mutual friend Bill Campbell passed away during the evening, October 30th, 2012, he was 97 and I wonder if Bill would appreciate the title "THE AUTOCAR TRUCK MAN"?

I first came to know Bill through the art work he did for what was then the biggest ad firm in the U.S., Grey & Rodgers of Philadelphia. It was while there that between 1943 -48 he produced fifty-two ads depicting AUTOCAR TRUCKS -- not to mention the art work for the twenty-seven spots that also appeared in those ads in TIME and LIFE Magazine. This was all done the old fashioned way -- by the artist hand while trying to meet a deadline. To me, his work was the best when it came to truck ads of the 40's.

I don't remember which of his ads I first saw with the signature of "Campbell" or W. Campbell -- but I was hooked and had to find more. And so it was that I would come to put together a video collage of those works that I had collected that also included some that I thought were his, but were actually done by his contemporaries -- Frank Waltrich, and Otto Bauman. Billl's depictions of the trucks were done so well, that latter ad artists tried to emulate his work. That was how I got to know Bill, finding which ads were actually his and finally finding and cataloging all his works.

I was just getting to know Bill, I will miss his bright mind and our talks about his ads. It makes me wish that I had known him back in the day, and I could have looked over his shoulder as he worked to finish one of his pieces.

Good bye my friend, and thank you for your kindness and for those wonderful AUTOCAR ads---

That's Bill in 1947 ----

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7981100919_e27b1f0105_c.jpg

George Murphey --