Profile Picture

Freightliner FLC

Posted By kblackav8or 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I've always liked the idea of supercharging the compressor. It doesn't give you any more air pressure it just make air quicker. The warm charge air does make it a little less efficient though. Yeah, say wha' about the back feeding?  With the governor valve unloaded the compressor reeds are held open and the boost pressure helps drive the compressor piston down driving the engine. BUT when the piston comes up it has to fight the boost so a net gain of zero. Does this sound like it might be a lot of hot air?

Tony
Doug Blevins
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My 60 series used to run the air line from the intake manifold (post turbo) into the compressor, after 2 rebuilt compressors, several air dryer cartridges, and oil in all my air lines, I put a screw in plug in the manifold, and put a K&N filter on the end of the compressor intake hose. No more oil in the air dryer! For some reason, I kept getting oil blow by past the compressor rings, causing oil to plug the dryer cartridge, then by pass that and run oil all the way back to the trailer air tank. After the second rebuilt compressor did it, figured time for a change, also went to newer style air dryer with spin on cartridge instead of the old factory one that you have to unbolt the housing. Have had no problems since!

whole bunch of scrap iron! some actually runs! Most just eat money and take up space in my yard

Junkmandan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Tony------It took me a while to think that story up !
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

I like your story and style Dan. Your gettin almost as good as me with the BS. It's an acquired skill that I've been honing for years. My nickname was Bull when I was a kid and it wasn't short for Bullard.  Proceed with caution.   LOL.

Tony
Junkmandan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Isn't there a special Bendix Westinghouse valve to be added to that airflow out of the turbo to minimize the loss of turbo boost when you need it ?  I think it may also have something to do with oil consumption through the compressor .  Seems I vaguely remember hearing this at a local Fleet Maintenance Council meeting .

Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

I'm finding this very interesting, especially about the oil consumption. I'm talking about the old BW two cylinder compressors.
On the intake the boost pressure lifts the intake valve and charges the intake stroke.

It seems to me that pressure would try to blow by the rings and wipe the oil back to the crankcase.
On the compression stroke the intake closes and the charged air is forced through the discharge valve to the reservoir.
This also seems like it would blow oil back to the crankcase.

When its unloaded both inlet valves are open and both cylinders are receiving boost pressure. The pistons are 180* out so when one comes up the other goes down and the air just moves between them. Still blowing oil back to the crankcase.

The only problem I could see is if the dryer dumps the compressor discharge to atmosphere the boost pressure would unseat the discharge valves and blow out the dryer. Dryers are after my time.
See attached.

Tony
Attachments
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

I guess my problem with the air dryer was solved. This is what Dan must have been talking about. Thanks, Dan.

TheAD-9 air dryer consists of a desiccant cartridge and a die cast aluminum end cover secured to a cylindrical steel outer shell with eight cap screws and nuts. The end cover contains a check valve assembly, a safety valve, threaded air connections and the purge valve housing assembly.The removable purge valve housing assembly incorporates a purge valve mechanism and a turbo charger cut-off feature that is designed to prevent loss of engine "turbo"boost pressure during the purge cycle of the AD-9 air dryer. For ease of serviceability, the desiccant cartridge and discharge check valve assembly are screw in type. The purge valve housing assembly, which includes the heater and thermostat assembly, and the discharge check valve assembly,is serviceable from the exterior of the air dryer, while servicing the screw-in  desiccant cartridge requires removal of the air dryer assembly from the vehicle

Tony
Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Months Ago
Any progress on this?

--------------------------

Buncha junk.
kblackav8or
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
So a plan for getting it out of the weeds and to my place is in the works.  The title has been located and there is probably a bunch of parts for it scattered around.  Sounds like much of the engine is in the cab what is not under the hood.  It's a 1980.  If things work out, it will make an appearance at a regional show right after we yank it out of the brush. 

1959 Kenworth CC-925 60's tribute truck, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064

kblackav8or
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
So the title has been located.  There is a plan to recover it.  I have a engine that should be workable one way or another.  With a vin we know a few things.  According to Cam it was half of a matching order of 2.  8V92TA, 12513, 228 wheelbase, Elizabeth paint scheme was original.  Not my photo. 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6c71aa29-b8ea-41c7-88ea-9e12.jpg

1959 Kenworth CC-925 60's tribute truck, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064