Profile Picture

Freightliner FLC

Posted By kblackav8or 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Lucky guy to find this classic..............I'd call it the 55-57 Chevy of Freightliners.   Great picture detail.so we can follow along .
C_hasbeen
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)First Gear (90 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I sure love the sound of a two stroke Detroit engine!  I was enjoying your pictures you have in your album and noticed one that looked like it was the owners manual, did (do) these come with a name from the factory? yours has the name Elizabeth?
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/81de1032-1551-4559-b526-b57f.jpg

Clifford Gallington
Topeka, Ks.

kblackav8or
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sorry for the belated reply.  The paint scheme it originally came with has Elizabeth for a name.  It is from their advertising pamphlets. 

1959 Kenworth CC-925 60's tribute truck, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064

kblackav8or
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

I bought a FLC severe service cab for $100 on a frame with front axle.  Pretty well stripped of much of the useful stuff.  Strongly considering replacing my FLC cab with it to get a straight solid one without any holes.  Wondering if much of the earlier interior will just swap over.  Pretty sure someone will want my FLC cab.  My reservations are about the older doors which is a love hate - they have the 2 ribs in them and a vent which adds styling and charactor but they are also older Freightliner All Weather doors.  New cab has the improved better doors.  Decision means more work but wind up with a better truck in the end. 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/93f4b83d-7d0f-439b-8035-1f05.jpg

kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I am pretty sure I will eventually make the cab swap and transfer much of the interior that I can make fit over to the other cab.  It is a much sturdier cab without the damage issues of the original.  I kind of wouldn't mind finding a early fiberglass hood that used the round headlights on pods and matches my aluminum one.  My hood will need some serious repairs to be right.  I have been slowly accumulating stuff to get the intact 92 I have running.  I picked up a DDEC II computer, a engine harness, a power harness I believe plus a plug and some wire to build part of the harness.  I think I need a jake harness when I add those.  So slow progress being made. 

kblackav8or
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Today I got to the point where a test start of the 8v92 going in the Freightliner was possible.  I replaced all the electronic stuff with what came off the engine in the Freightliner.  The heads were gone but all the head parts were still there, injectors, rockers etc.  Installed the injectors only to discover they had different fittings from the electronic ones.  So had to replace all the injectors fittings with "new style" fittings and rebend the lines which actually turned out to be not too bad.  A 90 bend in each line at the bottom and a little tweaking and they matched up and it appears they all work.  Took great care to make sure all the racks on the injectors were very free.  Had oil coming out in the valve covers where I expected and a few fittings I didn't expect so I know it is pumping.  Start wasn't too dramatic.  Once I knew the governor was pretty much doing it's thing I shut it down and restarted for the camera after checking it over.  Probably be a while yet before I have time to put it in but it seems like a major accomplishment toward getting the FLC going under it's own power. 
https://youtu.be/OZP7xpKV_9A

roKWiz
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)5th Direct (788 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Nice one Kevin.

Cabover Nut
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...Denis Diderot 1752

Junkmandan
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Atta boy, Kevin !     It has the snap and bark like it should .!
kblackav8or
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Dan,
   Does it sound to you like I really need to make any tuning adjustments at this time?  I will say this I am missing 1 long jake bolt.  Know where I could find one?  What we did is just left the jakes off that cylinder and used the bolts that were there.  The other 7 are there.  What I don't know is how the Jakes talk to each other and if I am missing any parts?  I think there is some connector or something between them.  Also need to do the wiring on them.  We are going to hook up the cooling system and put some water in it so we can run it for a longer period and play with setting the idle and such.  I need to also wire up the shutdown solenoid.