Profile Picture

Remembering Don Chew, ATHS Legend, and Friend to Countless "Truck Guys"

Posted By chtrout 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Remembering Don Chew, ATHS Legend, and Friend to Countless "Truck...

Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Don Chew Obituary and Guest Book

Anyone who wishes to view Don Chew's obituary and sign his "guest book" may do so at:

(there will often be a brief delay before your entry appears)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thebrightonblade/obituary.aspx?pid=184856337

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

Bill White
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:14:25 AM
Thank you Craig Trout

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
Junkmandan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As a suggestion to be enjoyed by some of us surviving old folks. ........A young friend and I are donating several wooden park benches with the deceased person's name inscribed "In Memory of", to the local community center picnic grounds........... and to a local historical society village where he was active .
chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)

Don Chew and his ATHS Legacy

A number of Don's friends have commented that Don was an ATHS "legend" and one of the "originals."

At my request, Courtney Cesar, Director of the ATHS Zoe James Memorial Library, has compiled the following summary of Don's various roles at and contributions to the American Truck Historical Society (ATHS).  

Donald Norman Chew (13 Sep 1935 - 18 Mar 2017)

ATHS Membership and Offices Held:

•    ATHS Member from 1982 to 2017   (35 years)
•    Regional Vice President from 1984 to 2005   (21 years)
•    Board Member at Large from 2005 to 2017   (12 years)

Don also contributed to ATHS:

•    25+ articles written for Wheels of Time
•    Volunteering at the ATHS National Convention
•    Serving on the Archives Committee (unknown year range)

During our talks, Courtney was also very pleased to formally announce the following:  

"In Recognition of Don Chew's Significant Contributions to ATHS and its membership around the world, ATHS will be dedicating a Bookcase at the Zoe James Memorial Library to his memory, also fitted with a brass plaque in his name."

•    Courtney also indicated that Don will be remembered in a future edition of "Wheels of Time."

All very fitting tributes to a real-deal "Truck Guy."  

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

- All

My understanding is that it was Don Chew's wishes that he not have a service, but I am sure his close-by truck friends will ensure his ashes are well cared for or scattered appropriately.

I do know that he had an elderly brother (very poor health) in New Jersey(?), but I am not sure if he is still alive.

Also, if I understand correctly, the local ATHS chapter will meet Thursday evening to consider various ways of honoring Don or remembering him.

I, along with others, will be sponsoring a several-line "brick" in Don's honor at ATHS Headquarters.

If anyone has any other ideas, I may be willing to contribute...

I will continue to pass along more information as I have it.

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Brocky
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Leroy had told me that Don and his daughter were not on the best of terms, so no idea??
Eddy: I like your idea.. Also maybe a memorial service at Des Moines???

Brocky
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Bill White (4/3/2017)
Where and when will there be any service for Don. Anyone know.

Take care,
Bill W.

I've searched for details and I can't find anything, no obituary, nothing.

I keep hoping it's an April fools joke. Vanetta posted his message on the 30th. There should have been a funeral by now.

I keep thinking we should make a donation to ATHS in Dons' name.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Bill White
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)13th Over (8.5K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:14:25 AM
Where and when will there be any service for Don. Anyone know.

Take care,
Bill W.

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)13th Over (5.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
I'm sure there are lots of stories about Don, here's one of mine.
At an ATHS meeting Don and I went to Cracker Barrel one day for lunch. I was showing Don the photos of the CT Electric truck I'd bought.
Don looks at me and said I rode on your truck many times as a kid. He said he was sick a lot when he was a kid and made regular trips to the doctor and had to walk past Curtis Publishing on the way to the doctors. He said they wouldn't let him on the trucks out on the streets but he'd climb onboard one of the electric trucks at the dock and ride to the gate where he had to get off.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Maint1
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I picked up Dr Bill' PIE tankers at Don's home, he helped load them, took me to lunch and then spent the afternoon wandering around his shop and projects. He later visited in Richmond Va, and visited at several shows, last saw him in Salem, what a great guy and source of information. I enjoyed his company, he will be missed.