Profile Picture

What Am I for Monday 11/19/12

Posted By Jeff Lakaszcyck 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
This is a pretty rare truck. Emblem removed, Photo from Bill White.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/bb530d00-65a7-4a08-941c-f272.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
What Am I 2014.jpg (10 views, 90.00 KB)
Jack Amaral
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
IT'S A HARVEY TRUCK.
clyde318
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm with you,Jack. Harvey.
tamangel
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)Third Gear (366 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
with HARVEY also..

Mike W

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)

VERY INTERESTING!!!! -- NEVER HEARD OF HARVEY OUTSIDE OF THE OLD JIMMY STEWART MOVIE!!!

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

I'm where I'm at when I'm all there! But,when I'm here, how can I be all there?

George Murphey --

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.7K reputation)

My favorite Harvey is actually not a truck, but a large white rabbit, but that is another story ! This Harvey is a 1920's model photographed in the Akron Ohio area. Harvey trucks were built from 1911 to 1932 in Harvey Illinois by the Harvey Motor Truck Works. For a time, models from 1-1/2 to 5 tons were built. In 1927 Harvey attempted to compete with Hug by building the Road Builder Special, a heavy dump truck with a 7 speed transmission. Like many manufacturers, Harvey could not survive the Great Depression. Jack Amaral has this 1st. Thanks to Bill White for this photo from the Goodyear Collection at the University of Akron. The color photo of the 1922 model is from Don MacKenzie, and the 1918 article is from Dan Souday.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/a9ac3747-d4fa-417a-92a2-ec2d.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/59d585e5-3860-498a-85d1-3983.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/75722c4e-d883-4059-ab2d-efd1.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/e0926ee1-f9b0-4554-a8d9-dec0.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
Harvey 1920's Truck BW.jpg (19 views, 144.00 KB)
Harvey 1922 2.5 ton tanker DM.jpg (20 views, 141.00 KB)
Harvey 1922 tank truck.jpg (20 views, 58.00 KB)
Harvey 1918 article DS.jpg (28 views, 128.00 KB)
HRVY
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Harvey Truck: Came across this web site while resurchasing Harvey Trucks. Thought you folks would like to read about how my 1922 Harvey truck was "Saved" Tom Bushley

SAVED - The Story of the Harvey Truck Rescue

In July of 1963, I. G. Ruth left Downing, Missouri to go to Chicago, Illinois to deliver a large load of fur pelts from his business (I. G. Ruth & Sons). Little did he know that he was about to make a find of a lifetime, and would return to Downing, Missouri with a unique piece of American trucking history.

Upon arrival in Chicago he was told it would take an hour or so until his truck could be unloaded because there was quite a few others ahead of him. When returning to his truck to wait he noticed that the building next to the fur wholesaler was being torn down. He had never seen a building of this size (3 stories) being razed so he was very interested in the whole process. The crew was using a crane with a wrecking ball to demolish the brick walls. He walked around to the rear of the building to get a better view and discovered an old truck parked in the building's basement garage. He felt the truck was worth saving so he went to the wrecking crew foreman and asked if he could purchase the truck. The foreman said the truck belonged to the building's owner, Peter Winter. He said Winter had told him he had tried selling the truck but had not found anyone interested in purchasing it. Winter had said to just let the building fall in around it and haul it off with the rest of the rubbish.

Mr. Ruth then asked the foreman to stop the demolition so he could have time to get the truck out but the foreman said he was on a tight schedule and couldn't stop. It was now 11:30 a.m. and Ruth offered the foreman $50 to let his crew go to lunch one half hour early so he would have time to get the truck out. The foreman agreed. Ruth then walked six blocks away and hired a wrecker returning just in time to pull the old truck to safety as the demolition crew returned from their early lunch break. After getting the truck to safety, Ruth spent the balance of that day and most of the next day, July 17, 1963, locating Peter Winter and purchasing the truck.

While talking to Mr. Winter, Ruth learned that in 1938 Winter had purchased two identical trucks to be used in an extensive remodeling project of Wriggley Field there in Chicago. Shortly after completion of the project Winter’s company had failed and he had to file for bankruptcy. All of Winter's assets except for one of the trucks (which he had hidden away in the basement garage) were sold to settle the claims of the creditors.

Ruth found another garage to store his newly purchased truck in until he could return for it on a later date. On his way back home to Missouri Ruth passed the building site, and to his amazement, the building was completely leveled with only a huge pile of rubble to mark the place. He knew then that it had only been a stroke of good luck that he had been able to rescue the old truck in time from a terrible fate.

The truck that I. G. Ruth saved turned out to be a very low mileage 1922 Harvey motor truck, one of only a very few ever manufactured and the only original, running example of just two known to exist today.

I suspect the photo of the Atlas Produce truck may very well be an early picture of my truck??? Tom

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Tom, I'm glad you found us. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. Wouldn't that be something if the Atlas photo is actually your truck !

Jeff
Gordon_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)Fourth Gear (464 reputation)

Tom, after that story we need an image.

Definitely on its ninth life, even if it isn't a cat

Too many Dodges and Dodge-powered things...
Stretch
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

$50 well spent. That was a lot of money in '63. They could have at least helped you move the truck.

Pictures please.