Profile Picture

1980 Peterbilt 359 Internation Transport

Posted By Wayne64SS 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Typical... have to tarp for rain again!
Luckily paint cured just fine. It's as close as I could get it to the body color. I brought a panel with me to napa to match to when I bought the paint.
With the truck paint cleaned up (not even buffed yet) it's a whole lot closer. Really excited to buff the truck next year now!!
So what I haven't mentioned is that in the mean time the radiator has been at a radiator repair shop... now i did ALL the hard work and spent 12 hours removing all the fasteners and extracting broken ones etc. I loosely reassembled and punch marked everything for location and delivered to the shop to be cleaned, rodded etc. What I got back from them was half assembled radiator they said the core was bad on because of a small crack between 2 bolt holes on the header flange. They wanted $3000 for just the new core plus I had to pay $400 regardless for their halfass assembly work. I got this thing back and it wasn't even assembled properly let alone cleaned or painted. Didn't even bother removing corrosion in places. Needless to say I'll never bring anything to acme radiator in watervliet ny ever again. So now that the radiator is back home lets do it the right way... fully disassembled yet AGAIN. This time I sandblasted them myself.
Since I had the blaster out I did the 5th and plate.... too bad the plate is wasted on the bottom side.
Painting all my freshly blasted radiator parts:
My buddy was able to fix the core no problem and the radiator shop did rod it before they found the crack so I figured I'd better paint it.
Man she looks great all assembled right?!?!?!
Sadly this radiator saga was far from over. Upon pressure test I found the sandblaster uncovered a porous casting on the lower tank. What you're seeing is water weeping through the casting in that spot. Back apart she comes.
Took me twice to get it right but i finally ended up grinding it wide open and then using some DEVCON aluminum putty to repair.

--------------------------

Buncha junk.
Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)

Successfully completed a pressure test! About time. I can't express how bad this thing fought me.
Fully assembled and ready for install. I'm also painting the air bleeds for the upper hoses.
In the mean time i flushed the cooling system with cummins RESTORE while at temperature and then about 5 times with water.

Then since my drums were in excellent shape with almost no lip my buddy was able to turn them for me and after that I blasted them.
Then we got them and the tops of the bags and the fan painted up.
Then I got the radiator and fan etc put back in the truck. Sure looks a bunch better.
What you don't see in this picture is the truck got all new wheel bearings, races, seals, and s-cam bushings all the way around.
Finally ready for some new brakes and slacks!
Bitch was thirsty.
Finally over the radiator hurdle and holding coolant!

Buncha junk.
Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Had to paint a few more miscellaneous items like this bracket for the leveling valve and also that shock mount i replaced.
That brings us to present day with the back end all assembled with everything new. I was able to move it under its own power back into the weeds until spring. In the spring I will do all the air lines and finish buttoning it up.
September 23rd is when I pulled this out of the weeds to get started and I just put it back again Sunday night 11/25. Not too bad of progress for 2 months. IMO. Thanks for reading through this mess, see yall in spring.

Buncha junk.
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Thanks for the update, you made some great progress in a short time.

Jeff
Junkmandan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Not quite overnight success ..   But you've come a long way, son !  You've been a quick learner .
roKWiz
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)5th Direct (795 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Really nice. Love your work Wayne. I wish I could get things done on my Louie as fast as you.

Cabover Nut
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...Denis Diderot 1752

Stretch
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I take it that you're a fan of AVE on Youtube.

Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

that dude's the best.

Buncha junk.
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Out of curiosity, I see you painted and primed the brake drums. What kind of paint did you use?

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

just rustoleum it's what i had in stock.

Buncha junk.