Profile Picture

NHC 250 belt tensioning

Posted By Bigtrucklover Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 35 minutes ago
I remember working on Dodges and Louisvilles and both if I'm correct were canted to the right at 6 degrees mostly to get them shoehorned into a short hood situation and the the back two cylinders were in the cab with you. I always cursed having to chunk out around the doghouse then remove it to do any work on the rear of the engine. Ford N models were no picnic either.

Be careful when you follow the MASSES......sometimes the "M" is silent.

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Were those engines in at a slant to keep a very low hood?

Tony
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Bigtrucklover (9/30/2018)
Here are the pics of my parts truck with the broken bracket (I already posted a pic of the other half) and some pics of my truck with the fan belts on and water pump belt hanging to the side.
There does not appear to be any eccentrics to the fan bracket, the only adjustment is the bolt that moves the fan hub up and down. So the belts must have to be properly mated to reach tension together I think.
I'll try and get belt measurements Tommorrow.

Thanks, Jay

What am I seeing here? Three fan drive belts all the same size. One very short water pump drive belt from the fan hub and one generator drive belt from the water pump. If so you'd adjust the fan belts first then the water pump and then the generator.
Jay says it's a1971 Dodge CNT900.
It also looks like the fan is not directly over the crank. Offset to the left.

Tony
Needle-Nose
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 35 minutes ago
On another note here....that fan hub support is for me an odd ball, when you look at the photos the hub is canted off to the assesory drive side of the engine. I worked on many of these engines with this style of w/pump and fan hub support and cannot recall any that were not vertical and braced back to the front rocker box studs and the fan hub slot also vertical....I could be wrong here but that hub support and w/pump clamp could be a bear to find. What is this engine installed in ???

Be careful when you follow the MASSES......sometimes the "M" is silent.

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Tony Bullard (9/11/2018)
The water pump also is adjustable. It has an eccentric mount held with these six bolts.

You loosen the bolts and rotate the water pump to adjust the belt. You may have to back this adjustment all the way off to get the belts on. Others will tell you what to watch out for with this adjustment. You may have to remove all six bolts so enough slack is there to get the belts on. I had to that with my 220 with a pump and fan on the same shaft. 

This is the other half of the broken pump retainer and fan mount.

Tony
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Well said Aaron. This is what I meant in an earlier post about an eccentric adjustment.