Profile Picture

My 79 white western star

Posted By 79starcar Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
This is my 79 western star. The original owner had it stolen in Fresno CA, and by the time it was recovered the motor and transmission had been stripped. The tow company that recovered it put a new big cam and 13 speed in it and sold it to a plumbing company in 1984. The plumbing company barley worked it, maybe hauling a back hoe to a local job site once a month. The truck still has a 13 speed with a 400 bc1 Cummins and 4.33 gears out back. I couldn’t ask for a better truck. I’ve been turning California from Arkansas with it for the past couple months, and she has treated me very well. It’s currently on spring ride with a American carrier air ride add on, and it does great. The AC blows ice cold and keeps me sane on that stretch between kingman and needles. Predominantly I haul chicken to LA and produce back to the Texas and Arkansas area. The truck is in the shop and almost done being stretched out to “267 wb, from the extremely short “205 it was. Pulling the reefer I need the wheelbase for axle weight issues, the reefer gets way to close to the bunk with the factory “205. The only other modification I can see me doing is 3.70 gears for some road speed. Here is some pictures of the old gal.

Ash to ash, dust to dust, if it wasn’t for chicken trucks that left lane would rust
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Nice to see an older truck working,how do you get in this lousy state with it.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Terry T
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)Fourth Gear (522 reputation)

A very nice looking Star.

T.

Churubusco, IN

Facebook: Terry Tombaugh
79starcar
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)

Thanks much! It’s a lot of fun to drive and the conversations on the road are just as fun. Folks are always curious about it because there is not much of them left. It’s the first year of the square headlights for the western star conventional and the last year white motor company built them.

Ash to ash, dust to dust, if it wasn’t for chicken trucks that left lane would rust
79starcar
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

And thanks much as well Aaron. I’m hauling produce and currently the season is in Central Valley and Salinas. So going to California just has to happen. I’ve heard because my truck is so old it’s granfathered in, and I’ve also heard that ARB is tied up in so much litigation that enforcement is damn near non existent. DOT and highway patrol won’t mess with smog laws out there, they just stick to brake adjustment and log books like usual. I don’t live out there, so I make it strictly business and get in and out. But I

Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

I haven't heard much about the carb cops at the coups lately, and the CHP pretty much hates carb so they are not enforcing that phony stuff.
Good luck
I'll keep an eye open for that truck along the 101 corridor.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
79starcar
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

That’s basically what I’ve heard. Be sure to holler at me, I usually run channel 17 north of hwy 46 and channel 15 south of hwy 46. You’ll see me a lot between Salinas and Paso Robles on 101, and sometimes around Oxnard. I’ve got a old crystal type 23 channel midland, it’ll get out on a good day lol.

wayne graham
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I had a 73-74 and 87. 2of them bought new and the 74 slightly used. That old heritage cab is tough. They did as well as my KW's and Petes. I would be hesitant to go to the 3.70's. I always liked 3.90 with your set up. However if you goin for speed I see your point. With the gap you are gonna have the speed is gonna come at a price but I reckon you already know. Good luck and like Aaron said it is nice to see an older truck working.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
79starcar
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks much Wayne! A lot of folks are scared of what they don’t know, or else I believe there would be much more older trucks on the road. My friends with these newer trucks are being ate up by costly repairs. To be honest with you I’ve been on the fence between 3.90 and 3.70 gears out back. But the 4.33 rears make for long days, all I cruise at is about 63 mph. That produce and chicken has to fly, and I reckon that’ll never change. My reasoning behind the 3.70 gears is I can go to a low profile 24.5 set of rubber next go around and it may bring me back into that power band for the hills. It’s all kind of a experiment being there is not a lot of trucks set up like these older ones left. I’ve also got the option of going with 3.90 rears and swapping my rto 13 speed that’s .86 in the top hole for a newer rtlo 13 speed that’s .73 in the top hole. I’d just have to keep my shift tower 😝. But the options are out there, and trust me I don’t want to be splitting gears every time I see a bump in the road.

wayne graham
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
with 3.90 you could go to the B ratio 13 which is the 70. It is double over and one hole down is 84 which you have now. Then you have options for tire size and a good all around gear selection. Should be able to cruise at 70 with no problems. You are right the guys today never messed with this stuff so they don't know. One other thing you might want to start looking for a set of windshields. the good ones are getting hard to find and looking for them in a hurry would be a pain.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.