Profile Picture

WILD HOG

Posted By carlotpilot Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 hours ago
In the 50's and 60's all my father in law's tired worn out laying hens went to Campbells.

Brocky
rubbishman
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Some I use to work with lived at one time in Camden near the Campbell Soup Co. plant and said if people saw the condition of the chickens and trailers going in there they would never eat Campbell's Cicken Soup again. This was in the 50's.

H.S.Blake
1971 IH VCO(T)-190 Leach 2R Packmaster
Fawnskin, CA 6,750 feet above tidewater
grenfell34
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
back about 25 yrs when that pic was taken    feral pigs were being sent to Germany in reefer container as 'game meat'
and it was a very good $ earner    carcass had to be short gutted leaving heart , lungs liver ect
they didn't seem to be to fussy on hygiene and there was more than one I had to flush the maggots out with a hose after hanging on my 4x4 all night before
cashing it in!!!   many were caught with dogs and the health department weren't to happy about that  and finnaly shut the show down
ive eaten my fair share of wild pig  over the yrs with no ill effects but like frank I  size thing up pretty well   , general condition of the carcass and inspection of liver ect when dressing out   tells a lot     and   cooking it is a art in its self
only real health problem     was   que fever      which is carried by cleft footed animals  both wild n domestic      its transferred thru blood    so a small cut or scratch when handling these animal can be a problem    aussies aint big on gloves so    hand washing and through washing of knives ect helped      and I never contracted it but a few mates did   !!!   and had recurring problems for yrs   bon apitete !!!!
kb3csw
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)Third Gear (310 reputation)

Frank Surber (1/4/2019)
Michelle Cole (1/4/2019)
There's a local man that eat some pork from a feral hog and it almost killed him. There was a virus in the hog and he caught it when you ate the meat from the hog. You don't know which hogs has the virus and which do not. I have head of other people getting sick from them too. People around here catch them and sell them to ranches where they have hog hunting. The bigger the more they get for the hogs.

One of the problems with any wild or game meat or domestic gone feral is people don't cook it correctly. These animals don't get fed clean grains and grasses like farm animals do. They quite literally have to root hog or die, eating what ever they can scrounge. Hogs are omnivorous and every bit as good at scavenging a meal off of dead carrion as vultures are. The funny thing is Humans can eat most of those same things like semi rancid 3 or 4 day old road kill the difference is we no longer have the beneficial bacteria in our digestive systems, that and our immune systems have been gradually degrading for generations.. The healthiest people today would get deathly ill trying to eat the things folks had to eat just 100 years ago even if the food was purchased from a store.
 When it comes to cooking feral pig  the first and foremost thing to remember is get the meat hot through and through at least 160°f in the center for half an hour or more then finish cooking in what even manor they chose.   . 
I was in Panama briefly in 73 and had ingested a larva of a tape worm due to under cooked pork. It went undetected for quite some time and when it was finally determined that was what was wrong with me the cure was nearly as bad as the symptoms To this day there are very few things that I will eat that has not been cooked completely even most plant foods. unless they are garden fresh and I know whos garden they came out of  

I look at old movies and the conditions of Diners, kitchens, what people ate and such and it had to be what you get used to. We packed lunches when in school sandwiches would sit in hot lockers for hours, now they say nothing at room temperature for over 2 hours is safe

John Henderson

Pocomoke City, Md.
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
That's why I think the newest generation gets sick over the simplest things.   They only drink "filter water" and have to wear surgical gloves at work so their hands don't get dirty.   Ugh.  They've done nothing to build their immune system up so any little issue puts them down.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Frank Surber
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Michelle Cole (1/4/2019)
There's a local man that eat some pork from a feral hog and it almost killed him. There was a virus in the hog and he caught it when you ate the meat from the hog. You don't know which hogs has the virus and which do not. I have head of other people getting sick from them too. People around here catch them and sell them to ranches where they have hog hunting. The bigger the more they get for the hogs.

One of the problems with any wild or game meat or domestic gone feral is people don't cook it correctly. These animals don't get fed clean grains and grasses like farm animals do. They quite literally have to root hog or die, eating what ever they can scrounge. Hogs are omnivorous and every bit as good at scavenging a meal off of dead carrion as vultures are. The funny thing is Humans can eat most of those same things like semi rancid 3 or 4 day old road kill the difference is we no longer have the beneficial bacteria in our digestive systems, that and our immune systems have been gradually degrading for generations.. The healthiest people today would get deathly ill trying to eat the things folks had to eat just 100 years ago even if the food was purchased from a store.
 When it comes to cooking feral pig  the first and foremost thing to remember is get the meat hot through and through at least 160°f in the center for half an hour or more then finish cooking in what even manor they chose.   . 
I was in Panama briefly in 73 and had ingested a larva of a tape worm due to under cooked pork. It went undetected for quite some time and when it was finally determined that was what was wrong with me the cure was nearly as bad as the symptoms To this day there are very few things that I will eat that has not been cooked completely even most plant foods. unless they are garden fresh and I know whos garden they came out of  

https://sowl.co/cEhUI
Don't try and tell me what I can't do, try to convince me of what you can do
Michelle Cole
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)6th Over (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 35 minutes ago
Tony Bullard (12/14/2018)
wayne graham (12/14/2018)
Ron, what did they kill him with. I am thinking a 30 or bigger. I would have to use my 44 Henry since I am still wishing for a 45/70

My brother has Dad's Springfield 45-70 military rifle. I remember that thing setting me right on my butt. I've got Dad's 30-40 Krag and that packs quite a wallop too.

Yeah, a 45-70 thumps pretty good! I've quit shooting  mine, because of arthritis in my hands and wrists. 30-30 version (interchangeable barrels) I still play with occasionally.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/1fa4942b-28ce-4eb1-8a49-7660.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

grenfell34
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

I was culling roos on a dry lake bed  when I spotted him    just at the end of the spotlight range
runnin flat out for the timber       tried for a heart shot aimin just ahead of his shoulder to compensate for the speed he was movin
got 2 away before he made the timber n thought I missed!!!   as he didn't falter in stride
boars here callous up around shoulders n chest to prevent being ripped by tusks in fights
this bloke had bloody near armour plating   the hollow points broke up on impact and imbedded in his shoulder
solids may have had a better result but at the range I doubt it?
despite his size he could move quick and was pretty cunning
he knew the sound of a landcruiser or bike all to well
old mate got him with a 308 I believe
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
wayne graham (12/14/2018)
Ron, what did they kill him with. I am thinking a 30 or bigger. I would have to use my 44 Henry since I am still wishing for a 45/70

My brother has Dad's Springfield 45-70 military rifle. I remember that thing setting me right on my butt. I've got Dad's 30-40 Krag and that packs quite a wallop too.

Tony