Profile Picture

1973 Brockway 359 Dump truck

Posted By Wayne64SS Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I've been looking for a Detroit powered dump truck for awhile to run locally. The problem I was having is that anything with DD power is 1986 or older, so by now in the northeast they're all beat to hell site trucks if there's anything left at all. Went to look at one Friday morning down in Catskill was supposedly a 20 year restoration 1974 Diamond Reo price at $16000. What a total and complete waste of time. There wasn't one single thing on that truck that wasn't total garbage. Engine, dump body, frame, rears, suspension etc. All garbage. I didn't even bother to make an offer, lol. So me and my buddy had lots of extra time and on the way home he says there's a Brockway on CL. He pulls up the add and I had seen it before also but it looked like junk. I figured why not we've already wasted a morning on one junker. Call the guy and he can meet us in an hour. This truck was priced at $3750 so I do not have high hopes at this point. Here's a few pictures from the craiglist ad which accurately shows condition.

I've been looking at dumps (most relegated to site duty) for months and they all have major rust jacking the frames tore up dump boxes, cab rot etc etc. This is by far the nicest one I've seen yet and was a complete shock to me. 100% nicer than the one I had just looked at. So once I looked it over  I cut a deal and then figured a day and time to go back and pay, get title and hopefully move it. Not sure if you can tell from the pics but she was pretty buried in that yard. Obviously no intention of moving or using it any time soon. Probably took me and my buddy about an hour to clean out all the shit in front of the truck so we could move it out of the yard.  Brought the support rig down on Monday and got the old girl fired up and out of the yard. It's in their private drive waiting until I can get a lowboy there.

Pretty pumped about this old turd, it's a pretty solid old truck and the lights and blower motor even worked! Needs a good bit of stupid things like a front spring hanger, every cable in the dash is froze, one wheel seal, brakes don't work.... the usual bits for something that sat ten years. This one put up a very valiant effort and just didn't want to start. First it was stuck injectors, then the blower flap was tripped, then it wasn't getting fuel... multiple hours of messing about and this was the result:

--------------------------

Buncha junk.
Junkmandan
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 20 minutes ago
Not like Wayne at all.............just running that truck at idle.   Reminds me of a REPO man...........Keep it quiet so the owner don't  get tipped off!   Usually, Wayne will hammer it !
Wayne64SS
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)5th Direct (781 reputation)

don't worry Dan once I get the brakes working and the shutdown cable fixed so I can run it with the valve cover on I will absolutely hammer on it!!!!

Buncha junk.
oldspwr
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)Fourth Gear (515 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Looks good Wayne, let us know if you need any help finding Brockway parts...

Tom

"Leave no bolt unturned"
Wayne64SS
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

I need a driver side front spring hanger actually. The whole thing appears to bolt on. Mine broke the pin on the outside and they must've let it go and it waffled the inside of the hanger where the pin goes. Thanks man! I need to find turbo stuff for the 671 also.

Buncha junk.
Wayne64SS
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Another quick video:

Loving that old school alarm!!!

Buncha junk.
chocko
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Looks good Wayno. It looks like a Fuller Trans what model ? Thanks.
Wayne64SS
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

rt915.... going to either pull it apart or swap an rto915

Buncha junk.
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Wayne64SS (12/23/2018)
Another quick video:

Loving that old school alarm!!!

I've got one on the Acar. It gets a lot of attention at the shows.