Profile Picture

zinc oil additives

Posted By rubbishman Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)Third Gear (241 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
beemergary (12/22/2018)
rubbishman (12/21/2018)
Many comments on the classic car and racing sites about zddp oil in old engines, mainly with flat tappets. Some have suggested Delo or equivalent in pre 85 engines. Others say using the wrong additive may cause galling, etc.
Any thoughts if I should think about zinc in this 549, probably can go years with no oil change since it's propane and the oil never gets sludged, up and never gets run under any kind of load.
Build and race 60's Pontiac engines with solid and solid roller cams. Break in with diesel oil with zinc then switch to amsoil. Never a problem I think Brad Penn oil still has the zinc. Frequent forums and never heard an engine builder say break in with synthetic.

Amzoil motorcycle oils have zinc in them.

rubbishman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
For me then in addition to zinc I can add cigerettes, asbestos, lead paint dust, paint catylist hardener, RF exposure, PCBs, poor choices in women, ...

H.S.Blake
1971 IH VCO(T)-190 Leach 2R Packmaster
Fawnskin, CA 6,750 feet above tidewater
tundra
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)Third Gear (392 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
iam sure ive done it all wrong over the years     but       I run the same oil that the trucks have ran on [shell rotella] in most everything for many years
even my tractors and mini tractors
only things that don't are my dodge rumblebee pickup / corvette/eldorado
and the airplane that I use areoshell in
[ mainly  I let the ,,,quick lubes;; do those 3 daily drivers cause there sucha pain in the butt ta deal with and are  later model full on computerized crap  and sides that the lube change shops are close by and easy for me here in ;;spud flats;; ]
ive had problems with flat cams and such usein normal ..car;; lubes with no or little zinc in em     [esp up north]

on that note
few years back I had to go back into a very typical old small block chev and replace the cam and lifters again on a real nice restored early blazer that my bud had done up for his sons project 
appeared as though he had done it right and used the right cam break in lube on assembly    [screwed up timeing chain though]
but put the cheapest ;;wally world;; oil he could find in it for the break in [for break in he thought]
didn't make 500 miles before it flattened the cam he had just put in

the shell rotella has tons of zinc in it      and most all my older gas pwrd  stuff loves it also     

accordin ta California codes though I may croke soon due to self inflicted zinc cancer though by usein it    lol
rubbishman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Thanks.

H.S.Blake
beemergary
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)Second Gear (141 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
rubbishman (12/21/2018)
Many comments on the classic car and racing sites about zddp oil in old engines, mainly with flat tappets. Some have suggested Delo or equivalent in pre 85 engines. Others say using the wrong additive may cause galling, etc.
Any thoughts if I should think about zinc in this 549, probably can go years with no oil change since it's propane and the oil never gets sludged, up and never gets run under any kind of load.
Build and race 60's Pontiac engines with solid and solid roller cams. Break in with diesel oil with zinc then switch to amsoil. Never a problem I think Brad Penn oil still has the zinc. Frequent forums and never heard an engine builder say break in with synthetic.

rubbishman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

Very good, Thanks.

H.S.Blake
dieselsteveo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)Third Gear (205 reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
We specify higher ZDP additive oils for our Cummins NG/propane engines with flat tappets due to galling we experienced when running on diesel and low ZDP oils, and low ash because of the exotic valve metals we have to use to auto the heat.

Prior to that, most/all our NG/propane engines had roller tappets and ran cooler, so they used diesel oil with no issues.

Given the age and duty cycle of your engine I agree with Aaron that Delo 400 NG oil would be fine https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=380470&docFormat=PDF (I assume that’s the version you meant Aaron, there are so many Delo 400 formulations). It has Zinc and phosphorus in the 800-900ppm level which is what we recommend for our flat tappet engines.
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Delo 400  15/40 according to their tech people its fine for older gas jobs.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
rubbishman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

H.S.Blake