Profile Picture

Cummins NH 220 Injector question

Posted By Rob the Boat Builder 6 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Months Ago
Working on my old boat, 1958 Broward, and it has two cummins NH 220 with turbo. My engine hydro locked with two cylinders full of fuel the other day. I removed the rocker cages and injectors to clear the fuel and inspect. Found two of the injector nozzles only hand tight to the bottom of the injector body. Assumed that was my problem, tightend and reinstalled. Still having blow back in my fuel lines.
1: First question: when the cup and spring are removed and I slide the injector rod down the tube, should it bottom out on the injector body or continue past the bottom lip as if it were going to seat in the cup? Mine stop in the injector body and stick when I'm trying to set the inch pound torque.
2: If I were to look for rebuilds, how do I go about determining which will be the right parts/nozzles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob the Boat Builder