Profile Picture

ntc400 injector setting

Posted By marvgarr 9 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
When setting any Cummins injector in the PT Fuel System the main thing to think about
(no matter what mickey mouse method Cummins came up with during their time of the month)
is that ideally the plunger will be bottomed in the cup after injection and during combustion.

This assures optimal combustion and injector life.

ie, on the Outer Base Circle.

Preferably at an agreed upon torque on the adjusting screw.

I can explain why the Engine Company came up with Top Stop injectors but it is totally
irrelevant to the combustion process.

Jim
marvgarr
Posted 9 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Maybe that's the one I was thinking about been a while since played with a big cam. I appreciate the info.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 9 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 minutes ago
The Big cam's (other than STC) are set with a 6in/lbs torque wrench, the STC  can be, but there are better procedure but I don't remember it, The STC is set with the tappet extended if you use the torque wrench method, if you don't extend it, it will damage the injector or tappet. 
 None of the CPL's we were talkin about are STC, not even close. 
Geoff Weeks
Posted 9 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 minutes ago
My CPL book shows a 353 as a fixed time 290, a 393 as a fixed time 400, question is: what pistons, injectors and timing it has? Could be built to 393 spec's or could be someone thru a 393 pump on a 353.
Either way it  isn't MVT
I never heard of or saw a Big Cam with anything other than top stop, and both are big cam 1'a
marvgarr
Posted 9 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)Second Gear (128 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
I keep getting bad info. I have a ntc400 bigcam Cummins. CPL 353 per block serial number no data tag. Fuel pump CPL is 393. Engine looks like a BC1 because only one oil filter and no timing control. CPL 353 says its MVT engine but there is no box or air connection. I need to run and overhead but dont know the injector setting is. I know if I set it to PTD setting and it has top stops in the injectors will be damaged. Any idea with out tearing it apart?