Profile Picture

1985 359 Peterbilt

Posted By BareMetalFab 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I bought an 85 359. It seems to have had a rough life. To no suprise she is worn out. Its got a 525hp n14 swapped into it, which runs beautifully. I bought it for 8k, and am looking to build it into a mobile welding truck. Turn some heads, and create some smiles. I know its not practical for a welding rig, but I'm more interested in the Cool factor and smiles per gallon. Hoping to get some insight, and learn as much as I can. I'm 22yo and run my own company, (Bare Metal Fabrication) I do have a little experience in the diesel world, but not much when it comes to an 85 359. Any help is appreciated! It does have an aluminum frame, (too bad it was hacked) but my custom weld bed will cover all that. So far the major things it needs are- syncros, clutch brake adjustment/replacement, new fuel lines, new tires, lugs and studs, axle seals, brakes, fix a few air leaks, it needs all new guages and switches, and lighting fixed. The wiring on this truck is a mess. Despite all thats wrong with it, she does run and drive well. Anyway its a neat truck and I think with a little love she will be a beauty.
Brocky
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
BMF, looks like you have a great base... When you say syncros, what transmission do you have?? Have you tried double clutching each shift, both up and down?? With a little learning / practice it will become an automatic maneuver for your left foot...The clutch brake is ONLY used to stop the transmission from turning when placing it in gear from a dead stop.. Do NOT use it for shifting while under motion..

Brocky
BareMetalFab
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)

It has a 10 speed. Reason I say it needs a clutch brake is getting her into gear, even with the clutch all the way to the floor you still can't slide it into gear. You have to give it a quick jerk to get it in gear. If you try it slow and smooth it grinds. And I say syncros because when shifting from high to low range, 6th to 5th, I pre select my low range before the shift, and no matter how smooth I do it I still get an awful grinding noise in the neutral position.
Brocky
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Somebody that knows more about transmissions will probably chime in here and help, I hope??
Your clutch brake may have some adjustment?? That new a truck, it should be the 2 piece one which snaps over the input shaft housing so it can be changed thru the bottom bell housing cover?? As far as the grinding when going from the low to high side, or back, I have driven some trucks that have done it occasionally for over a million miles with no problems. Possibly the air shift servo may need a good cleaning to speed it up???

Brocky
BareMetalFab
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks for the reply Brocky. I had my mechanic come look at it. Says its healthy, but a long way from being DOT approved lol.
Junkmandan
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Basic clutch adjustment, by rotating the ring within the pressure plate, also resets the distance on the brake disc washers to give it more squeeze. .  Possibly 4-6 notches  clockwise on that ring might bring everything back  in proper adjustment .
BareMetalFab
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks for the reply Junkman. I was able to work a trade with one of my mechanic buddies to fix a few things for some powdercoating/welding work! I'm excited to get this project going.
Aaron
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Most likely a clutch adjustment, should not be a big deal, the transmission if your trying to pre select before you have it out of the hole thats your problem don't do that, select when the stick is in neutral heading for 5th.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
BareMetalFab
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Why would pre selecting be a problem? That's how I learned to drive. Also I pre select on the way up and she is smooth as butter
Stretch
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I never preselected when downshifting either.
Upshifting yes, downshifting no.
Just what I was taught.