Profile Picture

1985 359 Peterbilt

Posted By BareMetalFab Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Many gear box instructions tell you not to pre select, the problem your having is because of that.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
BMF.
Here are a couple of pictures of a Pete similar to yours, with a sleeper, set up to pull a gooseneck hitch flatbed with cars on it that was at a local South Carolina show yesterday.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/88ff2679-040c-4084-9cfe-fc52.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/e4e68a83-e060-423c-965d-c97f.jpg

Brocky
BareMetalFab
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I will try not preselecting on the way down and see what she does. Also an update for you guys! Found out why I was losing prime. Whoever went through the fuel system last put the wrong I ring on the check valve. The oring was way too big and just jammed in there. Also because of that the fitting worked itself loose and was sucking air. All new fuel lines and filter on it tomorrow!
BareMetalFab
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)First Gear (9 reputation)

Update for you guys. New fuel lines on, and replaced the oring on the check valve. Transmission "problem" was indeed just my driving. I'm not ashamed to admit that I dont know much about it. But I'm learning everyday. My clutch brake is a completely broken the ears that hold it from free spinning were snapped off. I picked up a new one and plan to put that on soon. Also the air leak I had in my park valve, turned out to be a cracked hose feeding the old windshield wiper switch. I'm switching those to electric anyway. So far most of the problems seem to be turning out minor. Does anyone have suggestions on best place for new guages? Id like to get everything working and updated to new style. Thanks.
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
If you just need a couple gauges to replace mismatched that are there search e bay for what you need, most of the ga co's don't have all the ga's matched for what is needed.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Junkmandan
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Stewart Warner used to be an industry standard for many makes and models .
John Woge
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)

Aaron (3/16/2019)
Many gear box instructions tell you not to pre select, the problem your having is because of that.

Aaron, which boxes say to NOT pre select ? All the Roadrangers I've run since back into the 70s.....the drivers instructions say to pre select all range shifts and NEVER change the range selector while the stick is in neutral and the truck is in motion. I'm not a transmission mechanic at all, so never understood why. It never seemed to make a difference in the shifts though. I ran an SST-11 for a short time and don't remember the instructions on that....maybe never knew ? 

Stretch
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
We need to distinguish between range and splits.
John Woge
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)

Stretch (3/28/2019)
We need to distinguish between range and splits.

We're talking about 10 speeds, so no splitter shifts.....but the old driver instruction manuals for 18s, one a '90, one a '97, in front of me....say pre select the splitter too. When I was taught 46 years ago, on a RTO-913, Dad taught me to shift the main first and bring the splitter back to direct as I was completing the shift on upshifts and pre select the splitter into over as you start to move the lever on a down shift. I shifted them this way for years. I wish I had a RTO-913 manual to see what it said.
The manual for my RTO-14615  ( '83) also says never move range or deep reduction levers while the main is in neutral and truck is moving 
BareMetalFab
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Mad a few minutes to get under the truck and pull the old clutch brake out. Got a new one from napa for 30 bucks. Put that in and she glides into gear while stopped very nicely. Also I havent had any issues with shifting since I select low range in the neutral position, at a very low speed. I realized that I can idle along in 6th at a fairly slow pace, and downshifting further is rarely necessary. But I believe my speed was too high when I was trying to shift from 6th to 5th. I'm learning! (I'm 22yo and believe it or not I dont know everything lol)