Profile Picture

1985 359 Peterbilt

Posted By BareMetalFab Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 hours ago
[b]John Woge
 Dad taught me to shift the main first and bring the splitter back to direct as I was completing the shift on upshifts and pre select the splitter into over as you start to move the lever on a down shift. I shifted them this way for years. I wish I had a RTO-913 manual to see what it said.
The manual for my RTO-14615  ( '83) also says never move range or deep reduction levers while the main is in neutral and truck is moving 

John,
To my mind, you are shifting the range or the splitter while you are in neutral because the lever is in motion while you are doing it. With a pre-select, as in up shifting,
it could be seconds or even minutes before you move the lever, push it the clutch, or ease up on the throttle to complete the shift. 
Now I'm confused. :(
John Woge
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Stretch (3/29/2019)
[b]John Woge
 Dad taught me to shift the main first and bring the splitter back to direct as I was completing the shift on upshifts and pre select the splitter into over as you start to move the lever on a down shift. I shifted them this way for years. I wish I had a RTO-913 manual to see what it said.
The manual for my RTO-14615  ( '83) also says never move range or deep reduction levers while the main is in neutral and truck is moving 

John,
To my mind, you are shifting the range or the splitter while you are in neutral because the lever is in motion while you are doing it. With a pre-select, as in up shifting,
it could be seconds or even minutes before you move the lever, push it the clutch, or ease up on the throttle to complete the shift. 
Now I'm confused. :(

Stretch.....people think of pre selection differently. I personally think it doesn't matter on the range....but the splitter should be changed and the shift made immediately. I always wondered why Fuller keeps warning not to change in neutral ? When I get home tonight I'll scan some of these manuals
Stretch
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
[b]John Woge (3/29/2019)
Stretch.....people think of pre selection differently. I personally think it doesn't matter on the range....but the splitter should be changed and the shift made immediately. I always wondered why Fuller keeps warning not to change in neutral ? When I get home tonight I'll scan some of these manuals

John, 
I agree.
After shifting the same transmission for years, my body just does it automatically.
I had to sit and think for awhile to figure out what I was actually doing.