Profile Picture

International KB6

Posted By Jac2xx 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 16 hours ago
I have two K-7's one has a lighter GVW and has the same size wheel cyl as the K-6. I have had that one loaded with 5 ton in the bed (grossing 18K) and the brakes were more than up to the task. The larger K's -6 and up had good brakes when they are as they are supposed to be. The Hydovac does a good job. My other K-7 has a GVW 21000lbs and also has no problems stopping. 
Jac2xx
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Thanks Geoff.  I will get in touch with them and see what they can do.  I would just put new shoes on but this truck is used during the summer and is still on the road quite a bit.  Want to make it as safe as possible.  Thanks again for your help.  Will let you know what I find out.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)

https://www.jgrelining.com/
Never contacted them about it, so don't know if they do big drums. 
 You don't need perfect drums to run, most trucks never cut the drums, run through a few sets of shoes than replace the drum. If your aren't too bad I would just reline the shoes and be done with it. If the drum has ridges the shoes will not last quite as long, but for a old truck they will likely outlast the owner. 
Jac2xx
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)First Gear (4 reputation)

Thanks for the reply Geoff.  Drums still have meat on them but I think they are to far gone to turn them and run the shoes.  There probably is enough to do what you are talking about.  Can you give me the information on the place that you are talking about so I can give them a call?
Geoff Weeks
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Welcome to our corner.  I have two K-7's and have had them for about 20 years. In that time I have not seen drums for sale. 
 What are wrong with the ones you have?  Unless they are totally shot, your best bet is to use what you have. There is a place that will shrink a steel liner in a old drum, but there has to be enough material to do that and I don't know if they will handle a drum the size of a -6. 
Jac2xx
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

All,

I am looking for some help finding front brake drums for a 1946 International KB6.  Need two.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack