Profile Picture

Rear gearbox support.

Posted By pursy 5 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
pursy (3/18/2019)
. The engine is solid mounted to the frame so I reckon I don't need any rubber mountings.

Pursy

If you engine is rigidly mounted, it is going to crack! there needs to be some give. Engines with mounts on the trans half of the bell don't use rear (trans mount). Most with mounts on the engine half do. My cabovers with 9 speeds all had rear trans mounts.  
pursy
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thans for all your replies I think I will fabricate 1 just because the engine mounts were cracked and rewelded and that extra support might stop it happening again.
 The clutch does bite a bit, guess they aint organic plates.

Pursy
oldspwr
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)Fourth Gear (524 reputation)

In my Dad's 361 Brockway with the 671 Detroit and RT910 Fuller trans, there is a factory support for the back of the trans.  It's hard to see in this pic, but there is a 3" square rubber block they use to isolate the frame from the trans.

Here is a before pic...

"Leave no bolt unturned"
Aaron
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
As the guys already said the buggy spring in supports on the side of the were the norm on some and a channel iron with long bolts and springs were used also, I've been running a Spicer 5 spd in the 47 tryck for years with no support and its been just fine and that truck works. I think you'll be just fine.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Junkmandan
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Anything longer than a 10 speed , it was factory installed.........You didn't state what transmission .  I've seen various setups on 13 and 15 speed transmissions...........from a 3" channel iron laying across top of frame rails to a buggy spring support.........depending on how deep in the frame..........might require blocks above top of bottom rail .
wayne graham
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Pursy, Henworth and maybe pete came with a torsion leaf across the back with 2 frame brackets that it just sat on. Those were seldom replaced and trucks today don't have anything. You should be fine. 

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
TomC750
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I am sure others with more experience than I will ring in on this, but this is my thought - If there is any frame flex at all from the engine mounts on back to where you are going to support the back of the trans, it could stress the transmission. I would leave it alone.

Tom
TomC750
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)Third Gear (251 reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I am sure others with more experience than I will ring in on this, but this is my thought - If there is any frame flex at all from the engine mounts on back to where you are going to support the back of the trans, it could stress the transmission. I would leave it alone.

Tom
pursy
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)First Gear (96 reputation)

I have no rear support on the gearbox in my Peterbilt, this has worried me a bit as all the engine mountings brackets were cracked when i rebuilt it. I was going to put a 3"x2" channel across the top of the chassis and put 2 5/8 bolts into the top of the box. Does that sound ok and how necessary is it for the rear of the gearbox to be supported [RT910]. The engine is solid mounted to the frame so I reckon I don't need any rubber mountings.

Pursy