Profile Picture

Air start and Brake question

Posted By Freightrain 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Well, all was well yesterday from pulling out of garage to backing it in again. No drag or slow release. Just normal. Guess it was the chamber? Time will tell.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Wayne, I knew there was tension from the return springs from when I had the drum off and removed S cam shaft and slack.  I didn't think that the S cam was what was the issue now.
The old chamber seems fine, but time will tell after the trip next weekend.  If it drags again?  Ugh.

Larry

wayne graham
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Larry, This is why I suggested removing the chamber and using a short pipe over the slack to determine where the problem is. You have found it buddy. Go get 2 new chambers and I reckon you will be fine.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I apparently adjusted the brakes too far out, so when I pulled the pin from the slack, the slack smacked against the mounting bracket of the can.  Luckily I just had my hands out of the way.  The tension from the return springs on the brake shoes rolled the S cam back and rotated the slack.  I should have just adjusted the tension away to pull the pin, not a bunch of turns of the adjuster.

Larry

Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Freightrain (5/4/2019)
Put new chamber on. When I loosened brakes and pulled the pin, the slack about smacked my hand. No drag on it! Plenty of tension on shoe return springs.

Would you explain that one more time?
Thanks.

Tony
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Put new chamber on. When I loosened brakes and pulled the pin, the slack about smacked my hand. No drag on it! Plenty of tension on shoe return springs. That ain't the problem. Hopefully the slack is.

Sadly, the can is stamped "made in China" and a big tested,designed,approved in USA sticker. Huh? Say what? The can I took off is rebuild able. This one isn't.

I'm keeping the old can and stashing it in bunk storage....just in case.

Larry

Aaron
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Put a garage door spring on the slack adjuster and hook it to the end of the truck frame and call it fixed.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Everything is new when I stretched it a few years back.  So it doesn't have many miles on them.  Surely no salt or brine to destroy them either.

Larry

Aaron
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Are the slack adjusters new or old, if they've gpt spme age on them they do wear internally the worm and sector aren't tight so even though the pot is in the off position the internal part of the slack may not be, and the S cam doesn't follow it thru all the way. I had one like that on he job I'm doing now.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Well, no leak on service side. Released brakes and it came off fully again. Ugh.

Larry