Profile Picture

1964 Peterbilt 281 ( 114bbc)

Posted By massey ferguson 175 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Greetings. Found it in 2006 leaning up against a barb wire fence in the small town of Minkler calif. Brought it home took about six years to get it running. Went down to the frame rails but not for show function only. 8V71 was very worn found a silver 92 with a 13 speed to repower. New air lines, electrical, suspension brakes driveline . Went thru the cab. Just put it back as original economically possible reused everything I could and got lots of help from old timers who provided bits and pieces.http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/4d550ce1-3a6c-41ed-9f25-e739.jpg
Hamish
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)13th direct (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Very nice truck you've got there Massey Ferguson 175. Welcome to Just Old Trucks.
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)13th Over (5.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Congratulations and welcome to JustOldTrucks.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Stretch
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Understated. 
Nice.
jhancock
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Handsome rig!

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.
massey ferguson 175
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Thank you for the responses.
Just a few highlights I am recalling, which translates into things that went wrong. 
First clue is in the initial post description, I had no idea the factory made two different BBC lengths. If I had known that it would have stayed up against that fence. When I first noticed it had Detroit I thought a simple matter to swap in a 335 Cummins. A daunting task to drill new holes for cab , fuel and battery mounts and bellhousing to make it a 119 BBC. So it stayed the way it was.
It had an 8251 Spicer 5 speed that according to the build sheet had at some point replaced the 8055 Spicer. The 8251 has an extreme forward positioned shift cover that the installers had hacked away a large portion of the firewall to make it fit. I fixed all that and simply thought I would find a center cover to replace the existing one. A decade later and hundreds of junkyard 8251s and still looking for that holy grail of a shift cover.
The scoring of the 8V-92 and thirteen speed fixed all that and created other issues.
It had an inside the frame steering box,,, you can guess what happened when after making all new motor mounts ( 71/92 have nothing in common when it comes to attaching hardware.) Thirteen speed hit my just overhauled Gimmer box that San Jose steering just finished overhauling!.
Luck and some good friends gave me an outside the frame box,, that needed overhaul so back to San Jose it went. I mentioned I had wanted nothing to do with Detroits? well the factory service manuals did an excellent job helping me get around to the point that I understand all that wizardry that kept me away from them as far as possible.
One final thing, the build sheet provided an address and pathway to contact the original owners who I provided with some pictures. It also was uncanny that the truck was made for a business that was located in the town I lived in four years after I was born! I was probably behind it several times in my dads old 57 ford crossing Fernbridge on the way to Arcata.
Good day.

ScottM
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Great looking truck! The original photos and the chance to chat with the original owners would have been awesome!

======================
www.cachecreektruckshow.org
Wayne64SS
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)

man that thing is perfect, sorry for your troubles. If you don't like the Detroit feel free to drop that truck off here I could use it!

--------------------------

Buncha junk.
Freightrain
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Nicely done.  Welcome aboard.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.