Profile Picture

2015-19 Colorado as the basis of a restomod?

Posted By waltz 5 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
waltz (6/28/2019)
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I've seen those. I'm trying to end up with a reliable daily driver. If I go with the S10, I'd be buying a crate engine and at least rebuilding the S10 transmission. For about the same money, I can get a salvage Colorado with a lot fewer miles.

I would stay away from the newer stuff because of the computer integration. Early S10s had computers, but they didn't run your headlights and turn signals, etc! If you go with a crate engine, mileage doesn't mean that much, once you get past the drivetrain and wheel bearings.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

waltz
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I've seen those. I'm trying to end up with a reliable daily driver. If I go with the S10, I'd be buying a crate engine and at least rebuilding the S10 transmission. For about the same money, I can get a salvage Colorado with a lot fewer miles.
waltz
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)

Thanks Matt. I was hoping to pretty much use the Colorado as-is, "just" take the body and bed off and replace it with the '51. I bought a 4100 with a stake bed which I plan to cut down to size so it look good on the new running gear.
Rustymachine
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)Second Gear (136 reputation)

A gentleman in my town used the front frame section from a 2WD Trailblazer (same as Colorado I believe) welded to a pilothouse Dodge chassis.  The truck ended up with the 5 cylinder engine, transmission, and rear axle from the Chevy.  Truck seemed to be a daily driver as I saw it everywhere.

Best regards,

Matt
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

This past weekend I was at Back to the Fifties show in St Paul. There was a vendor there that was selling a kit of all the bracketry to mount an Advance Design pick-up cab and box on an S-10 frame. Looked to be pretty slick!
I don't have any contact info, but just a heads up that such a kit is available.
Edit: Here is info on the set-up I saw. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/feature-articles/ez-chassis-1.cfm
Some thoughts on the Colorado frame swap: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lots-of-s-10-swaps-any-colorado-canyon-ones.156390/

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

waltz
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks Eddy.
Eddy Lucast
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Whether you restore it to original or create something from your imagination, as long as the chassis will support the weight and you can make it work, it's up to you. If the vehicle is something odd, unusual or rare should it be restored or modified to suit you???

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

waltz
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Ok, I have a 1951 Advanced Design truck. Is there any reason I should not use a modern Chevy Colorado frame/engine/drive train as the underpinnings for a restomod?