Profile Picture

Really Really off topic

Posted By custom500 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Sorry about the really off topic nature of this question but with the breadth of knowledge available at this forum, likely somebody has a perfectly logical explanation.
Question:  Can a long run of suspended telephone cable move on its own?  Perhaps as a result of pulsating energy moving thru it? My wife and I were walking last night and observed a phone cable jumping noticeably (about 1/2 in.) in a vertical plane.  The cable right above it and the power cables way above that were perfectly still.   Furthermore, the motion continued unabated on the other side of a pole, but the cable was perfectly still on the other side of the next pole and from then on out.  We didn't notice where it actually started, but the motion was steady and the intensity was not diminishing. This morning it was still. This is just a phone cable on  a dead-end country road, it only services 4 homes and a mushroom house which I doubt even has a phone. 

We have walked this road for 33 years and have never noticed anything like this.   Anybody have any ideas?

Just knowing is half the battle. The other half is pure violence.
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Sometimes a cable can develop "lift" if it isn't perfectly round and it gets just the right breeze. I saw it when I was a kid walking to grade school.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

wayne graham
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I was wondering if someone on the line had dial up internet. Might have been down loading large amounts of the current political garbage and it was choking up the cable. Just wondering.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
custom500
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Wolfcreek_Steve (10/7/2019)
Sometimes a cable can develop "lift" if it isn't perfectly round and it gets just the right breeze. I saw it when I was a kid walking to grade school.

might be the answer- the cable appears to be rectangular but slightly twisted like a barber pole.

Just knowing is half the battle. The other half is pure violence.