Profile Picture

1923 Stutz model K3 triple combination pumper with 500gpm Northern pump

Posted By HouseofThune Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

1923 Stutz model K3 triple combination pumper with 500gpm Northern...

Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
If you have ever heard of the Stutz Bearcat, you know that the name Stutz has a solid reputation for quality and style. As a USA made company, the Stutz Fire Engine Company produced a limited number of apparatus to outfit departments across the country. The Model K, or affectionately called the "Baby Stutz" due to its' size compared to bigger trucks built by other companies, was nothing more than a Stutz Bearcat on a truck chassis - sharing the 4 cylinder Wisconsin T head engine and familiar radiator. The story behind this rig is really fascinating and was one of the reasons I couldn't pass it up. Much like my other fire engine, the Stutz replaced a horse drawn pump in the small community of Robinson, IL. in 1923 to help the area protect its growing populace. I have a few newspaper clippings from the time including meeting notes describing the votes needed to acquire the truck, as well as a few pictures of it in service.

I found her in a field in Minnesota, having been transferred there from a wrecker yard where she had been slowly sinking into the ground amongst the "too cool to crush" stuff the owner had spared for 30yrs until his passing. She now sits in my yard - under watchful eye of my urban neighbors who may or may not think I have a collecting problem ;-)

I would like to get her running again for her 100th birthday. I will be asking a lot of questions so please be patient and helpful!!
dieselsteveo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)Third Gear (306 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Welcome to the club! Here's our 1937 Stutz Fire Apparatus.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0939e3b3-d4c2-44da-81ff-d8d.jpeg
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
That's a great truck ! Ok, both Stutz's are great trucks. It's very cool that you have photos of it from when it was new. 

Jeff
Bruce Ohnstad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)5th Direct (951 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Congratulations and welcome.  I'm in MN and would enjoy hearing more.  We have a local ATHS chapter, MN Metro. 

I did not know Stutz used a Wisconsin.  The T head is interesting.  A couple years ago someone on this forum was working on a mid 20s T head in a firetruck.

It looks like the wood spokes survived.  Be careful if the engine is stuck.  I prefer taking the head off to clean the cylinders and maybe stuck valves before forcing something.  Maybe a fiber optic scope might give you a look?

Bruce
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (12.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
There is a short article here on a 1923 Stutz K-3 being restored for the Los Angeles County Fire Museum. This is a couple years old so it may be done now. See page 6. 

https://www.lacountyfiremuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/FireWarden-Issue-1-2017-web.pdf?fbclid=IwAR149ZkpWOnURzCj1vNYHGj4MP-NpIjpVxF0TuKlqwL_AYLKHG6vPZCp1A8

Jeff
HouseofThune
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Thanks guys, I found a 59AB ford v8 for the Stutz. The original engine is more of a paperweight now than a viable power plant. I will be doing the swap once the weather warms up a bit here in MN.. So, like July or so ;-)