Profile Picture

low oil press

Posted By tundra Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Just always interested in the outcome and a chance to learn something. Don't see any reason to use an old small cam/early big cam oil pump. the pumps aren't that different only the pressure setting of the relief. 
I think it is going to be a missing plug somewhere, but where?
tundra
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
its been bitter cold up there for awhile now       and they had outher stuff to get moved and usein one of my trucks to do it   so things are goin slow  
but I heard tonight that he put it back together and it still only has about 7psi at hot idle
he said he couldn't find any real problems when he tore it back down
a  old school cummins mechanic buddy of mine told him to put an ole small cam oil pump on it when he put it back
but he didn't do that
I know that's not the answer to the problem
but it would probably make up for some pressure loss
I had suggested to what we called ;;; pig it;;; with pressureized aux oil external  [like ron said] long ago before he pulled it back down in the first place
but I guess he don't wanna listen
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

I'm wondering what ever happened with this engine, was it ever sorted out?
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

I'm more concerned about the full grooving than the supply hole size. Never seen cam bearing with a groove unless they are supplying oil to another passage. Even the rod bearings are not fully grooved, there is no need.
 The manual only cautions to make sure the oil hole in the bearing line up with the hole in the block (duh), but they are plain bearings as the cam bearings aren't that highly loaded.
 That being said, if the clearance in the bearings are within spec, I'm not sure how it would pass enough oil to be a problem, the groove would get oil all the way around the bearing. 
 There are two thickness of cam bearing on the Big Cam's, early using thinner wall, but if you tried to use the wrong bearing in the engine, too thin, it would slip into the block with no resistance and if you go the other way it would not go in.
tundra
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

also found out  a few minutes ago that the ;;problem;; engine  has full internal round  grooves on the cam brgs 
while the tore down ;;;core;; engine is not grooved in the cam brgs   [besides smaller oil holes also]

almost sounds to me like he should have paid more attention while building the motor and not ;;assume;; that the replacement parts  be correct
nor consider any non like parts assa update

kinda difficult to figure cause iam 3k miles away /wasent present for the overhaul/and the core engine and the ;;problem;; engine are 60 miles from each outher also

he don't know what the original cam brg  design was caues once he fired it up and thougt  he was good to go and emptied the dumpster
lol

tundra
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

the guys were looking at a tore down bc3 that my bud had in his shop and they noticed that the oil passage holes in the cam brgs in his tore down engine are abought half the size oil holes than the new ones that he had installed in the ;;problem;; motor
he said he may not have paid much attention to the size difference as he just knocked in the cam brgs that were part of the aftermarket kit he had

do the bc3;s use restricted cam brgs?
is there various different size oil hole?

I know we play games with the oil hole sizes on performance gas motors all the time
tundra
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

don't think so
they had some stuff to get hauled so they kind went a different direction for now and used a friends truck
been passing along the comments to them that you guys have gave me
sounds like they already checked out the rocker box and top end stuff
last I knew they were going a little deeper in the bottom and oil cooler area
keep ya posted
merry Christmas everyone and thanks
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

I'm wondering if it was ever solved?
Needle-Nose
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)5th Direct (823 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If there are Jake heads...where the grommets for the oil gallery installed ??

Be careful when you follow the MASSES......sometimes the "M" is silent.

jimfols
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)First Gear (31 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Like Ron says could be missing the plugs in the crank.
First thing I thought of, but I haven't seen one of those for 30 or 40 years.

Jim