Profile Picture

Air conditioning

Posted By Aaron Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Rob may be right, never occurred to me to think along those lines, as it is the wrong place and the wrong device. I will add if you go with a Tx valve you will need a frost switch in the evaporator. One reason I didn't recognize is they normally go in the outlet of the evaporator.  
 In refrigeration there were "quick connect": fitting so the parts could be shipped charged, and assembled on site that looked something like that fitting.
Aaron
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Thanks guys,
Rob I was kinda wondering along those same lines but not so much as  a do it your self type thing, I kept thinking it was  a factory setup as this pickup has not been fouled up in any way I guessing it still had the orginal plug wires on it, its an xlt ranger and nothing is out of place on it except the hood, half the paint is Arizona burnt off the seats and carpet have virtually no wear.
  But after a few more ph calls yesterday it turns out those are disconnect valves, there are replacements out there, Old Air Products knew what they were and had a set but there is another bunch of o rings to give fits with so just deleting the little center plugs I'll put the bodys back in service as they are needed to connect to the dryer.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Rob
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)5th Direct (858 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Just seeing this. Someone in a prior ownership either had some HVAC experience, or worked with someone that did and tried some adapting. What you have there is a mechanical suction throttling valve attempting to replace the original POA valve, (pressure operated absolute) on the outlet of the evaporator core. POA valves were commonplace in automotive HVAC systems for many years and being mechanical in nature were a high failure item, (usually jammed open). The "orifice tube" systems replaced this in automotive use. POA valves controlled evaporator pressure and refrigerant flow by monitoring outlet pressure in the evaporator core. The throttling valve does the same on the inlet side using a set of springs to set the calibration of the unit. They are unfit for use in a system where the refrigerant compressor changes speeds. These are routinely used in commercial type refrigeration units and the Carrier corporation calls their variant an "Accurater". They are used on the inlet side of the evaporator core and never before a filter/dryer assembly as your installation is.

There is a company in Florida that manufactures a replacement sleeve for the POA valve, and an adapter to retrofit an expansion tube into the inlet line of the evaporator and it works well. You could incorporate an adjustable expansion device into the system and set your superheat at about seven degrees and subcooling to best attained valve, but that's a bit above this conversation.

What you have there is neither factory, or conventional aftermarket supplied but rather someone's attempt to "rig" something up. It would work fine if the engine were set at a constant speed however, but a very narrow window would exist for this application. I'll try to remember to look in the files for the vendor in Florida but it's been many years ago since I've last purchased from them.

Happy New Year to everybody!

Rob

Disseminator of intimate knowledge of nothing about everything.

Freightrain
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
It can be random anymore. He used to be Johnny on the spot. Now it can take days. I have my times where I'm not on there for extended times, like any of my popular spots.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

I've looked at LMC, nothing, any of the books I've got nothing, my older parts supply houses, nothing,although I've got to wait for NOS to open later in the week.
 Larry I've got a disc going on over there and made  a post for Bill to check into it but haven't heard from him, I haven't been on there in about a month is he still on it.

W921
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)First Gear (47 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Are you sure its OEM? Ive never looked at LMC website. I just call them and they mail me their catalogues. Every vehicle I own is at least 40 years old and their catalogues have always been dead on.
Freightrain
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Interesting.  Like some kind of check valve?   My '67 had underdash unit installed(dealer?) but don't recall anything like that.  I looked through a few older books I have and found nothing.

Bill(NumberDummy) over on FTE is a retired parts guys and pretty handy on stuff like this.  I knew another fellow Jeff(Jeffafa) that retired and also left the site this past summer.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Yeah been on the ford enthusists board, had quite a bit of help from a gent there, need to contact one more.

John R. Thomas
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)First Gear (26 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Have you emailed to the Ford truck forum?  
Aaron
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

factory set up, no salvage yards around close by, dryer coming in today
Got a couple napa kits nothing fits and what was on the little valves had com apart the screen at the compressor was full of crap,gonna flush the system too.