Profile Picture

Restoring parking brake handle...replace rivets with binding posts?

Posted By K5_489 8 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Restoring parking brake handle...replace rivets with binding posts?

Author
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Aaron (1/10/2020)
Are you talking about the parking brake handle with the button on top and the rod thru the handle, put a picture of it up if you can.

Similar, same idea/concept, but these have a squeeze type handle, not a button.  I don't have a picture of my particular one, but it's the same as these - 

Handle on the right - 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fa623934-b497-49ef-af39-6314.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8faa992e-dfd4-45af-9be4-1e5c.jpg
Aaron
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Are you talking about the parking brake handle with the button on top and the rod thru the handle, put a picture of it up if you can.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
A hand held peen probably will cost less than $20, I've spent more and not had a well done project to show for it.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

K5_489
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)

Bruce Ohnstad (1/9/2020)
If the handle is not wobbly from loose rivets, I'd leave it, clean it better than anyone would ever notice, and it will paint up nice.  Save your energy for the dashboard and bodywork.

Rivets can be made from nails.  Squeeze the components and peen the nail shank round.  A good industrial supply like McMasters might have all kinds of rivets.  A leather and saddle shop would also have rivets, although not many steel.

Bruce

The release is a bit wobbly, and I can see the rivet shanks have been tweaked a bit.  The coil spring appears to be tweaked, and is quite rusty too.  But the bigger issue is that the release rod is hanging up on the bottom notched bracket, and possibly inside the handle as well, to the point that it's no longer positively engaging when the lever is pulled back.  The only thing holding the lever in the engaged position really is the friction of decades of dirt build up. 

I've been down this kind of road enough to know that sure, I can just shoot a bunch of cleaner down there, shoot it with some oil, and it will work OK for a short while, but it's only a (short) matter of time before I'll be going through all of this again.  It will be much better in the long term for me to pull it all apart where I have good access to all the individual parts, and run them through my blasting cabinet to fully clean them up.  I think the release rod alignment may need to be tweaked a bit as well, as it's rubbing on the notched bracket on the bottom too.  

Can I do all this with the handle still fully assembled?  Aside from a full cleaning inside the handle, sure, I _COULD_, but the end product would be much nicer if it was fully disassembled first.  If it means that I ultimately buy the setting tools to do the two semi-tubular rivets like the factory did, then so be it.  I could probably even turn something acceptable on the lathe to just make the dies for it if I really had to.  

Bruce Ohnstad
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If the handle is not wobbly from loose rivets, I'd leave it, clean it better than anyone would ever notice, and it will paint up nice.  Save your energy for the dashboard and bodywork.

Rivets can be made from nails.  Squeeze the components and peen the nail shank round.  A good industrial supply like McMasters might have all kinds of rivets.  A leather and saddle shop would also have rivets, although not many steel.

Bruce
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Tony Bullard (1/8/2020)
I like your binding post idea. Maybe these press fit type:
https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3186

I've seen these used to hold knife handle slabs on kitchen knives, they do not come apart easily!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 24 minutes ago
I like your binding post idea. Maybe these press fit type:
https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3186

Tony
K5_489
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Pulled the parking brake handle and assembly out of the '59 International last night.  It's in decent shape, but is dragging a bit, not operating smoothly.  I'm going to pull it apart to clean it up and repaint it, which is going to involve drilling the two rivets holding the release trigger/handle to the main handle.  I don't have the setting tools for tubular rivets, and I'm certainly not going to put blind pop rivets or screws/nuts in there to replace them.  

I started thinking about alternatives, or buying the setting tools for tubular rivets, but I can't remember the last time I could have even used such a thing, and it almost seems silly to buy tools to set only two rivets (but on the other hand, I don't want it to look half-arsed either, like trying to set them with a hammer and punch, and not getting it quite right)

Then I suddenly thought about binding posts - those screws that are like a long female tubular "nut" instead of a traditional flat nut, with a larger truss head male screw on the other end.  In my head, putting a couple brass binding posts in there seems like it could be a nifty alternative, and something that would be one of those tiny details that sets a truck apart from the rest...but there's been other times that something seemed great in my head, and ended up looking like a dumpster fire after I did it.  

So wondering if anyone else has gone down a similar road, and might be able to provide a yay or nay, or maybe some other idea?