Profile Picture

Proper way of securing flatbed to frame? Pretty sure this ain't it...

Posted By K5_489 8 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Proper way of securing flatbed to frame? Pretty sure this ain't it......

Author
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)5th Direct (799 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
I think you might be better off matching another flatbed frame to the trucks rail widths unless you are prepared to roll the truck out from underneath and weld in some new longitudinal flatbed rails to match the truck. Either way taking the flatbed off will make it easier.
I'm currently getting a flatbed frame ready to go on a matching rail width truck.

Cabover Nut
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...Denis Diderot 1752

Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Might be. I guess I don't really know how you were planing to do it. If it is I'm sorry I wasted my time.

Tony
K5_489
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Tony Bullard (1/15/2020)
Put a ¼” plate between the two and use your imagination with tie rods like u-bolts or angle brackets bolted to the truck frame.

So basically exactly like I was originally planning on doing it? 
Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Put a ¼” plate between the two and use your imagination with tie rods like u-bolts or angle brackets bolted to the truck frame.

Tony
K5_489
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)First Gear (59 reputation)

Maybe this will better illustrate the issue I'm facing - flat bed rail spacing doesn't match truck frame rail spacing. I was hoping there would be a way around this that didn't involve cutting and moving the bed frame rails, as I don't have a good way to really handle moving this much weight or insure that the bed won't tweak or twist once I cut the frame rails off. Even as far as getting it off the truck, I was planning on just cribbing under it, jack it up just enough to clear the truck, and drive out from under it.

Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Ideally the body sub frame should have full bearing on the truck chassis frame. A piece of hard wood is often used to go over rivets, cross members etc. Three mountings per side is more than enough for a 12' body. The rear mounting just behind the rear spring hanger should be rigid something like this.

or this:

This ensures the body doesn't slid for and aft. The middle mount should be just ahead of the front spring hanger. For a flexible body like a rack or platform body all the mounts can be rigid. The front mount on a stiff body should be flexible like this:

or this:

If you go with u-bolts don't crush the frame. Use a spacer.

Tony
Eddy Lucast
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
U-Bolts

Chopped Liver, I've got my own rope thank you very much.
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

K5_489
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Stripped all the old, rotten, wood off the flat bed last night to get a better view of the *a-hem*..."creative" way a PO attached the current flatbed to my '59 International.  I'm not claiming to be an expert in this department, but I'm pretty sure this isn't exactly the correct way of doing this, especially if significant weight is to be placed on the bed.  

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/86c35aee-54c0-47e1-a1ee-9f4f.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/3e76c597-dac1-46e7-9796-ae38.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a9c5cae0-a545-4cd9-92da-0ca1.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/5791f9a4-7afd-4094-8e2c-28fd.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fba3724f-b050-43a7-a471-30ef.jpg

I now realize I didn't get a good picture of the difference in spacing between the truck frame rails, and the frame rails of the bed, but the flatbed frame rails are about 4-5 inches farther apart than the truck frame.  It works out that the inside edge of the bed rails more or less match up to the outside of the truck frame rails.  My thinking was to strip off all the existing...stuff...joining the flatbed to the truck frame, and replace them with 4 or 5 pieces of large angle iron that would go from the outside of the truck frame rails to the bottom of the bed frame rails, with gussets on both ends of the angle iron to help keep it from wanting to fold down.  

This is what I'm picturing, when I say gusseted on the sides (not my photo, just something I shamelessly stole off the Internets to show what I have in mind..ignore the measurements and dowel pins off the back here) - 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8387c0db-5fbb-459b-8682-319d.jpg

But I'm also not sure if I need to design something in that would allow the bed to flex independently of the truck frame, or if my idea would even properly support weight on the bed.  I can't imagine ever having more than 5K pounds on the bed, but then there might be that one time that I have a need to haul something considerably heavier too (there's never been anything heavier than my own body weight on the bed thus far since I bought the truck, as the wood was so rotted that I was afraid I would fall through just walking on it).