Profile Picture

Ammeter wiring

Posted By pursy Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks Geoff but i just bought a new Stewart Warner gauge. I made the alterations to the wiring this afternoon and it works as it should.

Pursy
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
That will do it! move the Ign and all loads to the regulator side of the ammeter, that way it will show all current to and from the battery on the ammeter.
 I assume you want period correct dash and gauges. If this is not the case, remote shunt ammeter like an Isspro unit will show the current but keep all high current connections outside of the cab.
http://www.issprogauges.com/Classic-100-0-100-Volt-DC-Ammeter-Shunt-Gauge-p/iss-r8808.htm
pursy
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)Second Gear (121 reputation)

Geoff I think you'r right. I totally rewired the truck but I used a later 359 wiring diagram on an early 351 so a lot got left out and I put all the ignition and lights off the starter stud.

Will have another look at the weekend, Thanks

Pursy
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
It sounds to me that the ammeter is wired between the regulator and battery but the other load are connected on the battery side of the ammeter. When wired this way it will only show the charging output of the generator. You need to place all of the truck loads on the generator side of the ammeter. When wire that way, it will show the current going into and out of the battery.
edit: Mfg got away from ammeters when they went to higher output alternators. They used voltmeters, I prefer ammeters as they show what and how much current is going to or drawn from the battery. I do prefer remote shunt units however so the high current cabling doesn't have to go to the dash and meter itself.
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I don't know what model you have but that doesn't sound like factory. I think the meter should go to a shunt. At least on a 359.
here's the start of some of the other models.

Tony
pursy
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Had probably the original ammeter in my Pete and it never showed a discharge and once it got above 30 amps charging the needle would dance about, I have just put a new gauge in and the needle holds steady on charge so that's good but still won't show a discharge when I put the lights on. I have the 1 wire connected to the battery terminal on the regulator box and the other to the wire that goes to the positive on the starter stud. Any ideas what's wrong?

Pursy