Profile Picture

56-57? International S182

Posted By ShelbyK Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/69760fe3-9f6d-41a2-860a-ee1.jpeg
I just bought this Sunday. I have admired big old trucks from afar for a long time. I am now an entry level collector. 

What I know:
56 or 57 IH S-182
Straight six. Probably 282. Not currently running but has within the last few years.
Five Speed Spicer w/pto
Two Speed Eaton rear
Tulsa Winch.
Original color was pale yellow.
Brakes probably shot. All the lines are rotten. Master cylinder needs rebuilt. Maybe Booster, too. 
Two cracked Daytons. Both inside rear. Tires are dry rotted but aren't super flat so holding air.
Electrical probably needs to be gutted. 

What I don't know:
I want to change all the fluids first and try to get it to start. What oils should I use for the various parts?
Weld the rims back together? Not doing anything heavy with it. I know it's worth converting them all to 22.5 but not right now. 
What else should I be looking for or at?
What would you do first?

I'm thinking start it. Then brakes. Then electrical/lights. Tires. PTO/winch. Body work.
Thoughts?
Eddy Lucast
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I'd spent a couple weeks looking over it before I create a to do list.
As far as welding rims I think it's an extreme no no! Unless you have a really big insurance policy! And don't mind losing it.
Someone will be along soon that can tell you what to look for.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I agree with Eddy, Take a while to look it over good and create a list of things you have to do, then sort them out by priority!! There are 20 inch rims available. Check with tire shops that service container chassis. Many of them are still running tube type tires. Another source might be storage trailer rental places. They might even have some real cheap..like scrap price!! If you are going to have to buy new tires, or 50% (+/-) used ones are fine for a hobby truck, you might as well go tubeless now instead of spending money on tube type rims. If it has never had modern detergent oil in it, or you are not sure, pull the valve cover and look for sludge. If there is much you will have to drop the pan and clean it out and wash the inside of the engine otherwise new oil will break the sludge free and plug things up. Any modern 15-40 oil should be OK. I would probably go with 85-140 gear oil?? More experienced guys will probably jump in and correct me!! With hydraulic brakes rebuild the whole system including brake lines!! Stopping is the most important part!! Before you can go!! Use ONLY NON ethanol gas!! This new $h!t will eat up old rubber lines, fuel pumps, and carbs>>>>

Brocky
ShelbyK
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)

I pulled the spark plugs last night and the 6th cylinder poured coolant... joy. I guess I'll be tearing it down more than I wanted to.
I think the last owner put clean oil and antifreeze in it. Plenty of oil on the dipstick but black. No coolant in the oil. 

As soon as I published the post I thought, "what moron would weld those rims together..." So yeah. The both broke where the hole is for the valve stem.

I think I'll keep an eye on craigslist and auction websites for 22.5s, 20s and used tires. Also a couple of places I can think of to call. I put 40lbs in the fronts, 60 in the outer duals and 30 in the inners and everything seems to be holding for now.

Hooked up a battery with the plugs out to see if it would turn over at all and nothing. Not sure if the starter actually kicked all the way in. Took the clutch cover off to see if I could move the flywheel and not even a budge so I think it's stuck. 

Any ideas on unsticking it without tearing it all the way apart? Pull it around the yard and drop the clutch?

Source for rebuild kits? Gasket sets?

How do you tell if it's a BD282 or 302?

Can someone send me a close shot of the hood ornament and the two little decoration things from the sides of the hood? All are missing.

Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
First of all Google "Red Power" There is an I-H Website that has that or similiar name. Mostly farm tractors but has a truck section to answer some of your questions. Also search on this website for user name "Jeepers Creepers" Whose real name is Dan Cornet, lives in Kentucky, He is a I-H man with several "Hi Binders".. and I-H Trucks.
With Coolant is #6 you will probably have to pull the head to replace the head gasket??
You can try the pull start start method of breaking it loose, BUT do NOT get rambunctious!! You are apt to break other things that can get expensive!! After the head is off, and/or pull the valve rocker shaft, put a socket and bar on the front of the crankshaft inside the vibration dampener. This will tell you if your "Stuck" is in the valve train or the piston rings. If in the rings, fill the cylinders with penetrating solvent and let soak. Eddy Lucast, this sites owner and sponsor sells a KBS product called Rust Blast which is very good. If it does not free up in a week or so, fit your bar where you can put a jack under it, jack it up to put some of the truck weight on it, and give it another week keeping an eye on it, when the truck settles some, jack again.. Have Patience!!!

Brocky
Hamish
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
ShelbyK (6/17/2020)
I pulled the spark plugs last night and the 6th cylinder poured coolant... joy. I guess I'll be tearing it down more than I wanted to.
I think the last owner put clean oil and antifreeze in it. Plenty of oil on the dipstick but black. No coolant in the oil. 

As soon as I published the post I thought, "what moron would weld those rims together..." So yeah. The both broke where the hole is for the valve stem.

I think I'll keep an eye on craigslist and auction websites for 22.5s, 20s and used tires. Also a couple of places I can think of to call. I put 40lbs in the fronts, 60 in the outer duals and 30 in the inners and everything seems to be holding for now.

Hooked up a battery with the plugs out to see if it would turn over at all and nothing. Not sure if the starter actually kicked all the way in. Took the clutch cover off to see if I could move the flywheel and not even a budge so I think it's stuck. 

Any ideas on unsticking it without tearing it all the way apart? Pull it around the yard and drop the clutch?

Source for rebuild kits? Gasket sets?

How do you tell if it's a BD282 or 302?

Can someone send me a close shot of the hood ornament and the two little decoration things from the sides of the hood? All are missing.

Shelby K, it will either be a BD282 or BD308-not sure how to tell the difference.
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
One thing you definitely don't want to do, is try to jerk start it with coolant in a cylinder.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Jeeperscreepers
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
Shelby,  I'm not an expert on these old IH's by any means.  A lot of people on the forum know a whole lot more than I do about them.  To locate the motor model, look at the front of the motor just below the valve cover.  There is a raised flat spot, you may have to sand it off, that has the model stamped on it.  I was thinking on the drivers side but may be on the passenger side.  You should be able to locate all kinds of 20" two piece rims.  Check with the local trucker's.  They may give them to you to get rid of them.   Pieces for the side of the cab are scarce.  Sometimes the come up on Ebay at about $75 a pop.  Hood ornaments pop up occasionally.  My first recommendation, depending on how serious you are, would be to get a parts manual.  I think the MT-103 manual covers your truck.  You'll also find them on Ebay.
I can say 10,000 words before I can type 10.  Feel free to call me.  My number is in my profile.  Oldihc.org is another good site for parts and know how.  http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/636a347d-e23d-4583-a9f2-06a1.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/422aedd9-05b9-4a17-a5b3-56d0.jpg

Dan Cornett
ShelbyK
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

I found the stamp last night. BD308.
Found a place in WA for Gaskets. Olsonsgaskets.com
$297.50 for the top end kit. Sound right?
Yesterday my son and I pulled the seat out and he swept all the literal and other crap out.

This is going to be fun.
Eddy Lucast
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
The Olsons are good people.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961