Profile Picture

56-57? International S182

Posted By ShelbyK 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Any idea how to figure out what kind of transmission is in this thing? I don't think it's a spicer. 5 speed. 1 and R are in your thigh and long throw (don't know which is which), and the others are shorter.
Steve s.
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Nice truck. It is going to give you a fine education. Those cracked wheels you mention might actually be true split rims. If that's the case, there may be nothing at all wrong with them. Compare the two wheels and see if the "cracks" are identical. If they are, you probably don't need to replace them unless you want to. Of course any multi piece rim requires special care and handling so be safe. 

Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
ShelbyK (6/23/2020)
Any idea how to figure out what kind of transmission is in this thing? I don't think it's a spicer. 5 speed. 1 and R are in your thigh and long throw (don't know which is which), and the others are shorter.

Why don't you think its a Spicer? 1 and R are long through.

Tony
ShelbyK
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)First Gear (22 reputation)

Tony. I’m just going off of what I can’t find. Spicer’s ID tags are pretty consipicuous and seem to have a designated place. This doesn’t have the tag or the place for it.

Steve. They’re really cracked. They are snap ring and that’s fine but the two inner duals are cracked all the way through across the width of the wheel. Along the hole cut out for the valve stem.

As for getting it to run... I’m on chemical number 6 over two weeks and have 2 free pistons to show for it. 
I’ve tried:
B’laster penetrating oil
seafoam deep creep
vinegar 
Metal Rescue
Marvel’s Mystery Oil
Evaporust

I have the oil pan and head off. I took off the bottom part of the connecting rods yesterday and pounded on them. I also just started spraying the evaporust into the cylinders from the bottom. 
What am I missing? What should I do?
Brocky
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Shelby, Have Patience!!!!!!!!
Sometimes beating, hammering, and yanking on a bar does not do as good as a constant pressure over time.. go back to my earlier post about a bar ans socket on the crank and putting the weight of the truck on the bar via a bottle jack..
And email Eddy for some rust Blast..

Brocky
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
Metal Ready and Evaporust are two of the mildest acids on the market.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

wayne graham
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)13th Over (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Acetone and ATF 50-50. Those pistons will give up.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Mike Harbison Sr.
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
ShelbyK (7/1/2020)
Tony. I’m just going off of what I can’t find. Spicer’s ID tags are pretty consipicuous and seem to have a designated place. This doesn’t have the tag or the place for it.

Steve. They’re really cracked. They are snap ring and that’s fine but the two inner duals are cracked all the way through across the width of the wheel. Along the hole cut out for the valve stem.

As for getting it to run... I’m on chemical number 6 over two weeks and have 2 free pistons to show for it. 
I’ve tried:
B’laster penetrating oil
seafoam deep creep
vinegar 
Metal Rescue
Marvel’s Mystery Oil
Evaporust

I have the oil pan and head off. I took off the bottom part of the connecting rods yesterday and pounded on them. I also just started spraying the evaporust into the cylinders from the bottom. 
What am I missing? What should I do?

Those wheels aren't cracked,like someone else mentioned they are true split rims,the lock ring is solid, the rim itself is split.
ShelbyK
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

If there’s supposed to be a rough, jagged crack in only two of the six rims, I’ll shut up.
3-1/4” socket for the rear Axle nut, in case anyone ever needs to know. Ordered a socket on jbtools.com pretty inexpensive. $20.
Front and rear wheel cylinders ordered from truckID.com along with new flex hoses with all the right fittings. $21 each for the front. $40 each for the rear. Not bad. The rebuild kits were super cheap @ $3.50 but those suckers are so seized up...

Ohh. And I made a rig to hold tension on it since there is 0.0 room to jack up a breaker bar under there. 2” socket, 2’ ratchet. 6’ fence post. I hooked the end of the post to a nearby tree with a come along and put enough tension on it to start bending the post. It’s been like that for about a week and a half. Redneck engineering.

I’ll have to try the acetone and atf.

Thanks for the support, y’all!
ShelbyK
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Here goes atf and acetone. 🤞