Profile Picture

MEA MAGNUM OPUS (My 1947 Autocar U-70 build)

Posted By Wolfcreek_Steve 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 minute ago
Great job Steve! I forgot, what are the frame and axles you are using?

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Frame is IH from a 1980 Continental Fire Apparatus, axles are Dodge 1 ton dually. Suspension is all home made.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Hard to believe it has been 1 1/2 years since the last update. I've done a lot since then, just haven't shared it. (Get yo butt in gear Steve)
I've always thought that the Mack logo mirrors were cool, (White also) but nothing is available for Autocar, so I came up with a design for mine this week. I don't have a way to stamp these, so I will cast them out of aluminum. This is the half made Foundry pattern.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/657412d7-093d-4cee-a6a6-50b1.jpg
The Autocar letters are cut from a hood ornament, other letters from the hobby store and the rest 1/8 and 1/4 inch MDF
Lots of fillets to add, then priming, sanding and paint. (No Eddy, I going to use left over automotive clearcoat for this)

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Great job, Steve. What are you going to use for fillets, Bondo or something? Do you have some kind of mirror frame it will clip into? Good thing you don't have to count your labor in the cost of this project. Lol

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Tony, right now I'm looking for something to use for the fillets. Bondo will work but stinks and I'm working in the house. I've read that saran wrap laid over the pattern while ramming the sand will take the place of tiny fillets such as I would have around the small letters. I may just do the larger fillets around the logo letters and the bow-tie shape and see how it rams up with the saran wrap.
I have a pair of 7X16 Velvac stainless mirrors, so I am just replacing the backs on those.
I save these little time consuming projects for winter, that way I can sit in the house basement where it is warm and not have to deal with heating the garage to a comfortable level.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Eddy Lucast
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Steve, LOL, When you run out I have 4 different clear coats.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Update: I found some epoxy putty I had left over from another project. I mixed up a small chunk of it and did the inside/outside of the bowtie. Worked good but I still have lots to do around the larger letters, then riffle files and sandpaper to make everything smooth before painting.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

That's interesting about the saran wrap concept. It might even help as an release agent if your letters aren't tapered on the sides. The only drawback might be wrinkles in the saran wrap might show up in the sand.

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Yeah, I worry about wrinkles, so I'll ram the sand into the mold as hard as I can. If it doesn't work, we can always say it should have. LOL

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Holly smokes! Your making the mold too, not just making the pattern? What next? Melt the aluminum and pore the casting? I know, you're going to smelt the aluminum from old pots and pans.

Tony