Profile Picture

MEA MAGNUM OPUS (My 1947 Autocar U-70 build)

Posted By Wolfcreek_Steve 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have finished up  three more foundry patterns for truck parts.
Pedals, hubcaps and mirror backs, Can't wait for spring to really get here, so I can set up my melting furnace and pour these parts.
Temps should be in the 50s-60s this coming week or twohttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/d136641d-a3fe-4c7e-a9da-d6ac.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Eddy Lucast
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Steve,

I quit being surprised but I'm always amazed with your work and imagination.

Question, are those tabs on the sides and heel of the accelerator pedal?

Will it accommodate my size 13 EEE? LOL

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

They really came out nice Steve. Is that a threaded hub cap?

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

The hubcap will be held in the wheel similar to how gauges are sometimes held in a dash. (A strap and screws from the back side)
Eddy, never fear, your oversized clodhoppers will fit! I made the pattern such that the accelerator will have the left tab removed and the brake will have the right tab removed.  I didn't want to go through all the extra work of making a second pattern almost identical to the first.
I got a bit tricky with the logos, the pedal logo started out life as a belt buckle that I trimmed down to fit and the mirror back uses letters cut out of a grille emblem and glued onto the pattern to read vertical rather than the original horizontal.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Update on my foundry work, after a couple of "try and fails" over the past several weeks, I fired up my foundry again today and got some good parts poured. (2 pedals,1 mirror back)
These are the rough castings, lots of work to do yet, sanding off the flash and filing the snots out from between the letters. I've poured the mirror back about 10 times and this is the only keeper so far, glad I'm not paying someone wages to do it for me. LOL
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6ca7077e-1b8a-4268-9b88-f26c.jpg
I had to remake the foot pedal pattern, it was too thin and I couldn't come close to filling the mold before the aluminum froze. The diamond pattern seems to take a lot of heat out of the metal. Lots of fun learning from my mistakes
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/63a693e7-cc4a-4bdc-8650-7c4e.jpg

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Great work Steve. I've especially enjoyed following this foundry work. Just curious, Would preheating the mold to 4 or 500* help with the premature fast freeze?

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Tony, I'm using green sand molds so there isn't any way to heat them to that kind of temps. Adding thickness to the pedal doesn't affect its use, so I just "went with the flow". (pun intended) I knew when I made the mirror back pattern that I would have flow problems, (1/16 thick around the outside edge) so I built the pattern too thick. Ever see someone mill aluminum with a table saw and belt sander? I wish I still had access to the machine tools I worked with for 30 years.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

After a very cold start to the winter, by mid January the temps started to cooperate with me and I've spent the last 2 months making progress on the Acar. I've got doors now, haven't put the skins on, but they are fully functional. Making the frame was fairly straightforward, but making provision for the window channel required a couple of failures before I got the window so it would slide up and down easily without being sloppy so the window would cant and bind. Electric windows were a snap, I chose a late 90s GM motor because they were cheap and easy to find, then when It came time to install them, I found that the gear on the motor matched up with the gears on the original Autocar window regulator and the mounting surface put the gear at the correct depth to mesh. Zip Bam Boom, cut a hole the right shape, drill and tap a few holes and that was done!
(The vice grips are an extra cost item) LOL
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b0a39578-afb1-4b99-bb6d-6045.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c30d86fa-c1fa-44b2-871e-b439.jpg
After window mechanisms, next came latches. I chose to go with 2 aftermarket latches on each door because the doors are mounted backwards (suicide) and I don't want them accidentally coming open at speed. This was a bit of extra work, but cheap insurance. Latches mounted easily, but I had purchased some paddle style door handles that were so poorly made, they failed before I had all the linkage installed. (now I know why they were for sale cheap in a swap meet)
Back to more conventional door handles. A 70s GM interior spindle and a trip to the building supply store for a household door handle set. I had to get creative to make an adapter to go from GM spline to the handle.  (a GM interior handle died a horrible death)
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/ee5f6e9f-32ab-44e9-bf0d-6169.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fb820e48-553e-40ef-a6b0-6d27.jpg

Lastly on the doors, there needed to be linkage between handle and latch. I just happened to have a bunch of 1/4" ball rod ends and 1/4" rod. I'm still working on interior handles, wife doesn't like Vice-grips
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6dd52ab6-2c46-47ae-b389-8182.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/e69437b0-dff9-46db-9c48-0b19.jpg

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

That's some really fine work, Steve. What are you going to do about skin on the outside; one big sheet or patch in pieces?

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I have the original skins, will have to patch some along the bottom.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin