Profile Picture

MEA MAGNUM OPUS (My 1947 Autocar U-70 build)

Posted By Wolfcreek_Steve 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)Second Gear (164 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
I could be wrong but I think that's just a clever way of asking for an update?
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Rusty Nail (11/16/2018)
I could be wrong but I think that's just a clever way of asking for an update?

Ah, that when right over my head!
As far as an update, there isn't anything to say, I haven't worked on the project for nearly a year. (not that I've given up on it) It's been a bad year for panic projects, junk cars, busted up cars, engine swaps gone wrong, etc and I was off my feed for a couple of months this past summer. Things are looking up, so I should get some work done on the Autocar over the winter.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 10 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Decided I needed a pair of seats, so I built some triple throw down bomber seats like all the rich guys run in their hot rods. My wife says they're good enough for the gals that will get to sit on them. I had to learn to buck rivets, but it went pretty good. They will mount on air ride pedestals. Next I have to learn how to upholster the cushions.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/98542510-8522-45b2-9d56-62d2.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/51efd341-f888-4c06-b787-f228.jpg

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Eddy Lucast
Posted 10 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 14 minutes ago
Steve your workmanship, knowledge and creativity is just mind boggling.
🙂

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 10 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)Rocket Scientist (11.9K reputation)

That's some beautiful work Steve, and I don't see a single smiley face on the rivet heads ! Nicely done.

Jeff
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 10 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

There are a few Jeff, I'm just careful with my camera. LOL

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

W921
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)First Gear (34 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I just love the way your taking junk or what you have available to you and making something cool out of it. Plus your not just copying something that you've seen. Or I've never seen anything like what your doing before.
Just curious though,where did you pick up the little detroit? They used to be everywhere and now if i find one its completely wore out junk that would cost so much to get rebuilt. I don't have the skills to rebuild one myself and I suspect the price of parts would be pretty high?
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Yeah, I don't follow the masses much!
I decided I wanted the Detroit just because the logical choice would be a 5.9 Cummins, so I found a small firetruck with one on Ebay for $2500, sitting down in Kentucky. Unfortunately, shortly after I set out for home with it, something came apart inside the engine and it was blowing a gallon of oil out the exhaust about every 2 1/2 miles. I had it hauled home and the truck was dismantled, but I haven't torn the engine down to see what went wrong. (I suspect a wristpin seal)
At present I have the cab off the truck and in the garage where I can work on it this winter. (finish the floor and insulate, plus a million other little things)

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Steve that sounds like  a lot of oil to pass a piston pin retaining ring. It could also be caused by blown blower seals. This can happen if the emergency stop is pulled at full speed. When blown pressurized oil for the blower bearings is pumped right into the blower intake, into the air box and into the compression chamber. It does cut down on diesel consumption while keeping the mosquitoes under control.

Look in the air box and see how oily it is. If the mud wasps plugged the airbox drains there could be a lot of oil in there.

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Blower seals were my first guess, but the blower was oil free inside. In my post I said wrist pin seal, in your attachment, it is called a wrist pin retainer, with one missing or out of position, you have full oil pressure into the airbox, then into the cylinder above the piston. Surprisingly there was no run-away, (idled well) just oil running out of the drain tubes and exhaust system. One of these days, I will tear it down for rebuild. Hopefully the crank isn't hurt and an in-frame kit will give me a new engine to play with.
I'm working with a company to figure out how to make an Allison 2000 series 6 speed auto run behind the mechanical Detroit. This company wants to sell stuff, (programming, modules, etc) but I've read elsewhere, that all that is really needed is throttle position and driveshaft speed inputs, along with a normal 4 speed auto shifter, (PRND321)
Getting through all this mechanical/electronic stuff is next summer's project.

Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin