Profile Picture

Towing Vehicles

Posted By John1732 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
We see new truck tractors being delivered piggyback style, one powered & two or three piggyback. On the piggyback trucks the rear wheels that are rolling always have the axel removed & a blank plate over the hole. Then you have a motor home towing a car (anything from a Minivan to sports car) with all four wheels rolling on the pavement.

So what is the difference  between the two ? With the truck axel removed I understand that the transmission  will not turn over.   My School Bus was towed once & they disconnected the drive shaft. 

Thank You

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
The only 4 wheelers that are OK to tow 4 wheels on the ground have a neutral in the transfer case. I have an all wheel drive suv, and it absolutely can not be towed with either 2 or 4 wheels on the ground. It must be hauled on a roll-back or trailer if moving more than a few blocks.
As for large trucks, (almost all being twin screw) there is an inter-axle differential that would come apart like a grenade if one axle was turning at road speed and the other was standing still, thus the easiest way to solve the problem is to pull the axles on the rear

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

John1732
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)First Gear (10 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank You
Eddy Lucast
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Steve, that's changing for SOME makes and models. Some of the new Ford SUVs can be towed on the ground in 2WD mode, transmission in neutral and the ignition switched on but not running.

I have no clue why the ignition switch needs to be on.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Eddy Lucast (8/5/2020)
Steve, that's changing for SOME makes and models. Some of the new Ford SUVs can be towed on the ground in 2WD mode, transmission in neutral and the ignition switched on but not running.

If you are flat towing the ignition would need to be at least unlocked so the front wheels could steer. 

Jeff
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Jeff Lakaszcyck (8/5/2020)
Eddy Lucast (8/5/2020)

If you are flat towing the ignition would need to be at least unlocked so the front wheels could steer. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they had some kind of parking brake that sets when you turn the ignition off. (for the idiots that can't remember to put it in park)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR