Profile Picture

1917 Riker (Locomobile) big project

Posted By alsfarms 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello Bruce,  Thanks for your note, comments and question.  I am interested in this RIker project because, firstly, I am a Locomobile guy.  I am currently restoring a 1909 Model L Locomobile Toy Tonneau.  (First year and Model for a shaft drive Locomobile).  Over time I have acquired nearly enough parts to have a second valid project, also a four cylinder Locomobile.  Riker was certainly the engineer behind the development of the early and great Locomobile and the automobile race successes and during WW1 trucks.  As far as some commonality, that is the thing that intrigues me.  Yes, is the answer.  This Riker four cylinder engine is the last in the evolutionary updates made by Locomobile.  I have not tested yet but I am certain that Locomobile jugs will fit the Riker crankcase.  The Model L Locomobile has a stroke of 4.5" whereas the Riker has a stroke of 6".  Other improvements; five main bearings, full pressure oiling,   Riker still uses the Manganese Bronze crankcase as does Locomobile, (Very Robust).  I just need to track down more parts to use for the build, so far I am in the dream stage.  I will post a few pictures of my completed and running 1909 Locomobile Model L engine for comparison with those pictures posted above of the Riker enginehttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/bc82f9bd-028f-42cd-9c5d-07c3.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/3887d761-73f9-4b14-9c87-d463.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6ccc1bbd-49fd-4d9e-b8a9-2198.jpg.
Alan 
alsfarms
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)First Gear (29 reputation)

I need to get three engine side valve covers recast in Aluminum.  I do have one original cover that I can use as a pattern.  Who knows of a a good aluminum foundry?
Al 
Brocky
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)13th direct (4.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
PM /  Email Wolfcreek Steve.. He made pedals for his Autocar..

Brocky
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)13th Over (6.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 29 minutes ago
Like Brocky says talk to Steve. I just had Ryerson make a die for an Aluminum extrusion but I have no idea if they do any casting.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
EddyLucast@hotmail.com 
203-228-1961

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)

I can do simple castings. Post pictures of both sides of the part and I'll let you know if it is something I can handle.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

alsfarms
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Hello Steve,  I will get a few picture for you shortly, of the valve side cover.  What type sand do you use for your casting process?  Do you only do aluminum or can you also pour brass/bronze?
Al
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)

alsfarms (9/1/2020)
Hello Steve,  I will get a few picture for you shortly, of the valve side cover.  What type sand do you use for your casting process?  Do you only do aluminum or can you also pour brass/bronze?
Al

I only do sand cast aluminum with greensand.  (silica sand, bentonite clay and water)
A few things I've done for myself. These were all done from my own patterns.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/10db5ecd-b6d8-4cb5-86f2-832a.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b5c8d026-7d81-4599-8052-b03f.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c18bbc78-ffcd-4320-be15-916c.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

alsfarms
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Hello Steve,  I have been busy and have not gotten to remove the aluminum valve side cover for you to take a look at.  I will get to it when things slow down on the farm later in the fall.
I am also looking for a right hand steering column that could be refitted into this Riker project.  Can anyone share a reference?
Al
Stretch
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Al,
I'm thinking Riker was an "assembled" truck, meaning they purchased components from suppliers and assembled them into a vehicle as opposed to manufacturing
all of the components themselves. That said, they probably used a common brand such as Ross. Many American truck brands before 1920 used right hand drive.
You might be able to use a steering box from a donor of another brand.
If you search for "Power Wagon" in Google  Books, you can search old issues of this magazine. They printed spread sheets of all the brands listing their components.
alsfarms
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Hello Stretch,
Yes plenty of early trucks and automobiles were in fact "assembled" from various MFG. parts.  Riker and Locomobile were not assembled as you suggest.   They built all the pieces for both trucks and automobiles.  Actually a rather high quality machine in the early days.  A Locomobile Old 16 won the prestigious Vanderbilt Cup race in 1908 running against the best of both American and European products.  I do agree and would sure entertain any right hand steering box I could find to retrofit into this project.  True Locohttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0b1fede2-21c2-44a6-8d58-ec9.jpegmobile and Riker steering gears are very hard if not impossible to find.  this picture shows several main components in the Locomobile factory building up mechanics for production.