Profile Picture

Charging generator removal on NH 220

Posted By Tim Buchholz Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Yes. Thanks for the complement. I love to detail and color code stuff. I’m loony enough to hand repaint the green stripes on the worn Gates “strato” hoses.
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Nice job with the cleaning up and painting. Did you do it?

Tony
Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)First Gear (24 reputation)

Picked up the generator from the rebuilder today and getting ready to put it on tonight.
The brushes were worn and sitting up to high to work, the armature was corroded and one bearing was about to grenade.
Took longer than planned because the parts were tough to get. The first set of brushes came in cracked so he reordered another set. He got the no grease lifetime type replacement bearings from a friend of his in Oregon who is also a rebuilder.
He tuned me a new VR to match it and ran it for a few hrs on the test bench and said it had great output now.
She’s Purdy!
Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Ha! I meant White 4000
Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

No worries Tony. I figured it had to be off of the crank because the waterpump sits between them. I haven’t had this engine apart before and never been in the front of it yet. Other than replacing the water pump and a rattle can old gold paint job it still seems pretty solid for a hobby truck engine. Smokes a little bluesh white but it hasn’t been driven more than 250 miles in 5 years. Does a lot of idling around the property. Rear main and rocker boxes leak as usual and the pan rear sump has been welded a few times. Crank seal and head gaskets have been staying dry so far. Out of the only 3 trucks that are running and drivable this is the only 743 I’ve got. I also have a NH 250 855 in a ‘72 White 3000 and my everyday fun driver is a small cam cpl 160 350 in a ‘67 Pete 351.
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Tony Bullard (9/23/2020)
Quote from Tim: "Just to clarify it is CCW rotation and mounted solid to the block with four bolts (two top, two bottom) and is gear driven from the back of gear housing under the oil cooler. "

I believe shaft rotation on Delco and others is viewed facing shaft end. The one in question should be a CW rotation generator. The 220 Cummins is CCW facing the flywheel, CW from crank end.

Time to replace the fields with CW fields.
EDIT: not to be confused with W.C. Fields.

Sorry I mislead you on the rotation of the generator. The idler gear must mesh with the cam gear not the crank gear. The generator turns opposite the crank. Sorry.

Tony
Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

I dropped it off at the rebuilder a few hours ago. I put it in a box and take it in the car trunk. I get it to his shop and roll it out of the box onto the counter and a big dirt dauber nest in a fine portland cement consistency falls out of the back end of it. Lol! The bearings are screeching just rolling it by hand. Can’t hear that on a running 220.
He said the markings were most likely stamped by a past rebuilder but it is supposed to motor that way when right. He is gonna hook me up with a good tuned to match voltage reg so there will be no question later on.
Now I just wait for the qoute in the next couple days.
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
With it off the truck, see if it will motor when connected to a battery, note the direction of motoring, and then go to the truck, crank over the engine and note which way the generator drive turns. If it turn the same way as the generator when motored, then all is good, if it turn opposite then you've got a problem. 
Positive or negative ground, will have no effect on which way it motors.  
Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Tim Buchholz
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thank you everyone.
I just pulled it. It came right out of the coupler as Dan said. The spocket teeth on both the engine and generator look great, square edges, no chips or bad wear. The chain is stiff but not worn either.
The mystery countinues if everyone thinks it’s the wrong one. It turns on the engine in the direction of the stamped arrow. The old book says Cummins engines were right or left rotation viewed from the front. The drive for it on the engine turns counter clockwise or left hand when looking at it from the front while the crank, compressor, fan and water pump pullys all turn clockwise or right hand. The gen has ccw stamped on it with the arrow and the model number says it is ccw?
Sounds like a good time to listen to some CCR!