Profile Picture

1950 (?) Oshkosh W-514-D

Posted By WrenchR Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)

WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Progress has been slow on the Oshkosh, but this was a great milestone to see it rolling under its own power!
WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

The new transfer case works great, but turned out to be from a 3-ton truck, so I had to swap the output shafts and yokes to match the driveshafts. Very nice not having decided what to put over the frame rails - easy access for t-case installation!
WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Here’s a list of what I’ve been up to on this project so far: oil &filter change, coolant hose replacement and system flush, installed the t-case and driveshafts, removed rotted air tanks, and cut off a battery box that had been welded to the frame. Like I said, slow progress.
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 12 hours ago
That's a great project, I love old all wheel drives. What engine is in it ? 

Jeff
WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Hi Jeff, the engine is a Cummins JS-6 with a gear driven blower and PT fuel system. The audio in the video came through poorly, but this thing sounds really nice around 1500-1800 rpm!
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 12 hours ago
I thought it was a J series Cummins but I wasn't sure. Great truck ! 

Jeff
jhancock
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago

Ease of access for the transfer case and the tools to make it happen!

Looks good playing in the snow.

Jim

All brands of turbochargers professionally rewound and synchronized.
                                         ------------------------
               This is sketchy even by my standards...   Uncle Tony

WrenchR
Posted 8 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

More tinkering on the Oshkosh this weekend - checked/changed the oil in both axles and all 3 gearboxes. Hooked up the parking brake, and scrounged and installed a bumper from a Dodge M37. The bumper is a little narrow, but the shape compliments the rest of the truck much better than the channel iron that it came with. Next task: brakes. The right rear brake is dragging badly, so somehow I have to remove and free it up.