Profile Picture

1946 Federal Fire Engine

Posted By ADV TRIO Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Get a few volumes of "Motors" manuals near the vintage of your truck. Good general information.
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
All of the small 1940's Federals like this one I have seen have had a Hercules under the hood. 

Jeff
Bud Tierney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Federal was one of the last "assembled" trucks, so all the mechanical parts will be off-the-shelf components from various well known suppliers, so parts should be no problem, your engine almost certainly Continental ot Wauk...if a Wauk the Wauk Eng Hist Soc will have manuals (no parts) and help/advice...
(every time i say "parts no problem"t about a postwar 1940s truck I.have to remind myself  that while it was almost new  eqpmt when i started driving, a LOT of tims's passed)...
As suggested, repost in the main forum; if no old firemen chime in, and you have questions about the fire  eqpmt, also post on one or more of the firetruck forums too, and you'll find many kindred souls...
Stretch
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

Now I get it.
Tony Bullard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago

"In the fall I drained the water out of the system and used compressed air to get every last drop out of the system to keep it from freezing.
In the spring I closed all of the drains and petcocks and connected the garden hose to the pump to pressurize it at 60 psi. "

I think what he meant here was draining and charging, priming the fire pump.

Tony
Stretch
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

The truck probably doesn't get a lot of use, so maintenance is less of an issue than freezing as has been mentioned.
The enemy of old trucks is lack of use. Causing dead batteries, leaking seals, corrosion, etc.
Start it often, take it out  and drive it a bit. (Don't forget to put coolant in it if it has been drained. Make sure you tag it out of service when the radiator is drained
so you don't forget and overheat it.)
jhancock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

You must be in northern CA with the snow on the ground!

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.
Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Post this picture and your questions up in the Peter J's section. There are several very knowledgeable Federal men here.. Be sure to look it over good for the data plates.. They should tell you what engine it has in it.

Brocky
Eddy Lucast
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)13th Over (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
If you are not sure of what you have take pictures and post them, a lot can be determined from those, the more the better.

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

John R. Thomas
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)First Gear (30 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The person in charge of maintaining it should be a gear head.  Open the hood.  The engine should be easy to identify.  The oil filter should be visible and marked.
Did the service records come with the rig?  Basic maintenance should be easy.  I owned a 55 Peter Pirsch for 10 years.  It was powered by a Waukesha 145GKB
gas 6 cylinder engine.  In the fall I drained the water out of the system and used compressed air to get every last drop out of the system to keep it from freezing.
In the spring I closed all of the drains and petcocks and connected the garden hose to the pump to pressurize it at 60 psi.  Good luck.