Profile Picture

Ford CL-9000 Windshield Wiper Motors

Posted By FireStar01 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Lack/cost of parts and maintenance maybe? Or just preferring the old/current style of arms. Hard to tell honestly, when you're a rookie and the truck you bought less than a year ago is the first you've heard of it.

'Celia', '79 Ford CL-9000/Detroit 8v92TA/Eaton 13 Speed

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Yep, that is what I was talking about.  Your pic is the 1st I've seen with the pantograph arm, I guess  most have been replaced by this point.
 I wonder why? 
FireStar01
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)

T You mean this? It has what looks like a pantograph wiper arm on the passenger side, but the second arm has been removed from the shaft and tied to the main arm with fencing wire.

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

I bet if you look close at the '81 you'll see a "peg" beside the main motor shaft for the 2nd arm of the pantograph It is just above the main shaft., It isn't there on my '89. Both '83 and '84 had the Trico motors, but my '84 had been replaced with Sprague by the time I had it, the '89 came with Sprague.
FireStar01
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

I have not, was gonna do it tomorrow while I was sitting still waiting to load since today was Sunday.

And I would assume as yes on pantographs throughout the run of the CL, judging by the brochure of a late model I looked up. Surprised they didn't catch on in truck, with how much of your windshield they cleared. Must've done better in other industries guessing by Rome's website. Both the 9670s my boss owns ('81 and '87) have standard arms.

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Early IHC 9670 used the Trico motor and had pentagraph arms as well, when Trico stopped making the motor they went with Sprague. I like the Trico better. Very early in production they stopped using the pentagraph arms and went to the single piece arm, I'm not sure why.   
 Have you contacted Rome about re building yours?  I have 2 Trico's and a whole bunch of Sprague's.  
If my memory is correct Ford used pentagraph arms though out the CL production.
FireStar01
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

So after a bit of research on the Rome Truck Parts website, I have determined the air motor used on my CL-900 is a Trico APMS-APMH type motor. Which, on the bright side, means what i thought was a crack in what I thought was the motor case has absolutely nothing to do with the air motor itself. It's just the part that runs the pantograph(?) wiper arms. Something I've literally never seen on any other truck, but I like the concept more than the regular ones to be completely honest. On the down side, unless Rome sells rebuild kits for them I may have to buy some *shiny new ones.*

Thanks for the tip Geoff, and even though I *shouldn't* need help with the wipers anymore, I may need to talk to Michelle about other parts related things. Like those plastic trim bits.

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Rome truck parts 

Rome Truck Parts     

www.rometruckparts.com

They are the go to place for air wiper motors.
If they are Sprague and not Trico, I have found that less the $10 worth of hardware store O rings will bring them back to life unless the case is worn out.  
Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 minutes ago
Contact Michelle Cole, she is the Ford Guru here. Either a PM / email thru here or PM me and I can send you her email address.

Brocky
FireStar01
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

So I have a 1979 Ford CL-9000, and both of the air operated wiper motors are bad. Just the motors themselves. Is there a place that makes new/refurbished ones? Or is there a relatively easy way to replace them with electric ones? I would prefer to get new air operated motors so that I don't have to run any new wiring, since I already have to rewire the clearance lights...

A little off topic, but are there places that can fix/replace molded plastic trim?