Profile Picture

Cummins flywheel

Posted By 1wonton Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
The teeth on my Cummins HI are stripped; where can I find a new/used flywheel?  What flywheels are interchangeable?

ron
dieselsteveo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There were a handful of different flywheel options and ring gear options for the HI. If you can share your engine serial # I can try to find the parts your engine was built with and try to find options for you.
1wonton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Thanks Stevo;  where would I find the engine #?
1wonton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Found the engine #; HI 37297
Junkmandan
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
You don't need to replace the flywheel for a bad ring gear.   Ring gears are an industry standard........more or less !     Plus should be a part # on the ring gear for your search . Pop it off, measure ID and count teeth . Shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary .
1wonton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Number on flywheel H20024 and on the ring gear H5711.  Where can I find this ring gear?
dieselsteveo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)Third Gear (372 reputation)

It appears Cummins still sells the 5711 ring gear!!  I see it in our parts system, can call tomorrow to find out price and stock.

Alternatively:
http://srsales.com/ has 25 of the 5711 ring gears in stock.  You will need to create a free account, check inventory for 5711, add one of those to a quote, and submit it for pricing.  Once you get their email quote, if you are ok with the price you can call them to provide payment and shipping info.

Arkansas Valley Diesel Service also has one on their eBay store for a eye-popping $392

A Google search for "cummins 5711 ring gear" generated a few other sources...
1wonton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks Steveo;  I checked the cummins site and didn't find this number, if you have a price or other location I'd sure appreciate it.  I also signed in to the srsales site, will wait to be confirmed.  Can you tell the year of this engine?

ron
dieselsteveo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Your engine was built late August 1943.

I called about the Cummins stock. There are 5 of the ring gears in Singapore :) But...$361 + $36 in shipping.
1wonton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thank you for the information.  I called Cummins and the 5711 gear is similar but instead of 1 inch wide it is .871.  Sacramento Clutch and Brake has them at $120.  I'll check and see if my Bendix will work..

ron