Profile Picture

Rockwell SQHP and SQ100

Posted By FireStar01 Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
With a dump truck its ever year you replace the brakes and maybe one and a half years on tires.any more a year ant very long to me.

Glenn Akers
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
glenn akers (2/18/2021)
It has been proven to me that spokes are stronger than hub pilot wheels.In the last three months i have crack two wheels in soft dirt and not mud but solt dirt.They are about three years old and did not crack at the stud holes but out about four inches away.I just dont like buying a seal ever time i put brakes on.My grand son can put brakes on a hub pilot in 20 mins per wheel. and the drums cost about 95.00. 

If you have wheel dolly it takes less time to pull the hub then get the wheels off, but yes it is a bit more work with spokes. Jim T told me he doesn't change the wheel seal (uses Stemco's) when he does em that way. I never had any luck re using a seal.  I'm partial to CR Classic's, had good luck with them, I guess it is all what you are used to and have the tooling for.
 With my stuff OTR on hiway, I only do brakes every few years or so and feel it is a good excuse to look at the wheel bearings at the same time.
 I had my Motor wheels crack not from the bolt holes but from the hand holes. Then I lost a bunch of studs and that was it for me. Pulled the 8 lug Motors off and put spokes on and never looked back.

glenn akers
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Aaron we do that here but on some of these jobs were we run only city streets i try to get along with the guys and there is no good reason for letting them run over you like this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Glenn Akers
Aaron
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Glenn, when your loaded just drive off, just cause there is room in the box doesn't mean load it. We would do that to contractors here, 10 yards is 10 yards, not 15.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
glenn akers
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

I should add that when your hauling dirt the loaders over load you ever time

Glenn Akers
glenn akers
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

It has been proven to me that spokes are stronger than hub pilot wheels.In the last three months i have crack two wheels in soft dirt and not mud but solt dirt.They are about three years old and did not crack at the stud holes but out about four inches away.I just dont like buying a seal ever time i put brakes on.My grand son can put brakes on a hub pilot in 20 mins per wheel. and the drums cost about 95.00. 

Glenn Akers
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

FireStar01 (2/18/2021)
 like Geoff said, brake drums and other wheel end parts are cheaper and more plentiful, especially for a working girl like she's gonna be. If I ever retire her for showing or limited use because I got out or got a different/newer truck? I'd consider converting back to stud pilot, not like I'm just gonna throw the old parts away.

The reason I had the SQ100 hubs to put on my SQHP, is: it is the only a spare/ back-up tractor. Everything I plan on keeping/ running I convert to spokes. I don't like taking 10 or 20 nuts off just to service tires or brakes. Since I had the late model hubs sitting around they went on the SQHP.
FireStar01
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)First Gear (28 reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Thanks Geoff, C and H is still looking for SQHP hub pilots for me, if only to see what the cost of them vs the SQ100 conversion kit is.

Aaron, hit it right on the head.

John, as I said earlier I've got air ride cut offs I want to put on it at some point, and would rather have the tires on the aluminum hub pilot wheels that will go on those axles, as opposed to putting them on the stud steelies that, unless I decide otherwise, are not staying on. However, it is simply something I'm looking at, and that all could change. Hell, I could try selling that cutoff in the next two months because I need the money and/or the cab air ride I'm getting is so good I don't think I need it. Who knows. But it also has to do with weight, and like Geoff said, brake drums and other wheel end parts are cheaper and more plentiful, especially for a working girl like she's gonna be. If I ever retire her for showing or limited use because I got out or got a different/newer truck? I'd consider converting back to stud pilot, not like I'm just gonna throw the old parts away.

'Celia', '79 Ford CL-9000/Detroit 8v92TA/Eaton 13 Speed

John Hanson
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)Fourth Gear (535 reputation)

Once you've had to pound that hub pilot wheel off after it runs in the "road puss" they use up here in the winter, you'd be looking for stud pilots.  I guess I'm different, because I never did see the "need" for them to start phasing out the stud pilots. They worked fine for a lot of years, with just a little regular maintenance.
John

I was put on this earth to do a certain amount of things....right now, I'm so far behind I could never die!
Aaron
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Then your going to work the truck would be my guess.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/