Profile Picture

distributor

Posted By Handhewn 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
You guys convinced me it was easy or I would have gone standard. Glad I went electronic now. I agree, much more efficient. Thanks for the help guys.
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 19 minutes ago
Glad for your success. As much as I like the simplicity of  the old ways, but electronic ign is the one exception to the rule, I have. It works better and doesn't require fiddling with. I prefer any of the  OEM electronics' but am not partial to aftermarkets (pertronics) I don't think they are as reliable and often an OEM can be adapted.
Handhewn
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)First Gear (99 reputation)

I finally decided to put the electronic ign.dist. in. It was not as complicated as I thought. It fired right off. Haven't timed it yet but it will run. Turned out I had both types distributors here on the property, I just hadn't looked hard enough. To much old iron to look through. I'm glad the elect. ign. dist. worked out as I can easily hook up the tachometer. I've been working on this burned truck for two months now. I'm getting close. Fire does terrible things. Wouldn't have bothered but that the crane in the middle didn't burn. Also having three other similar IH trucks on the property helped greatly particularly for the body and rear end. I need this truck desperately as I got the old sawmill running and need a street legal self loading truck to feed the mill. Beetles are killing all the pine trees hereabouts and people are offering me large trees by the truckload for free (as the price of lumber is skyrocketing). I NEED this truck.
rubbishman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
And on the older stuff like mine it was Hypalon insulated wire. I tried to find rolls of 14 and 12 to keep the truck orginal but no luck.
The CO cab and probably others were a wiring nightmare.

H.S.Blake
1971 IH VCO(T)-190 Leach 2R Packmaster
Fawnskin, CA 6,750 feet above tidewater
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Unless my eyes are playing tricks, I think the picture of the dist he posted has both a tach drive and above that the centra vac gov.
 I was superised to see a vacuum advance as most medium/heavies don't use them. It has to due with leaning out at mid throttle and a lean mixture needs more advance.  Most heavy loaded engines just use mechanical advance.  My BLD's and RD that I had were that way.
 Still, IHC was very good about numbering wires the same across years and models, so any manual can be used to "de code" a wire number. Unfortunately finding and reading the numbers can be a challenge, as you might need several inches to feet to find the number printed on the wire.  
rubbishman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Yes I din't know much past the RD's and 549 I have but it uses the iron Holley in conjuncion with the CentrVac gov. Of course like you said no vac adv. I've got Pertronix in it although there are guys around that say they are no good.
I would guess the MV has no vac governor probably electronic.

H.S.Blake
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

The last of the IHC gasser's aren't my strong suit, but I believe they used both Holley and Prestolite systems. Something in the back of my mind says the Prestolite dist was cast aluminum and the Holley was iron (like the Delco) but I could be wrong. 
 I think both were electronic and each had it's own box. 
rubbishman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Over

Geoff, seems I read somewhere (Pertronix catalog?) IH used something called "Holley Gold Box" solid state ignition on the later engines maybe even the MV.
Ever heard of it?

H.S.Blake
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Look for numbering on the wires, may have to go back into the harness a bit to find. barring that I'll need a blow up of the wireing. I can't seam to increase the size of the pictures. 
 The multiple wire plug to the silver box should mate to a similar one piece plug, not separate plugs. 
 I'm kind of surprised to see a vacuum advance on a MV but they were trying to meet emissions, set up for a gov I see as well. 
 As long as the distributor came from an MV we should be able to get it to work.
Handhewn
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
First Gear

I found same truck at junkyard. I took all engine wiring in one piece, except I separated a crucial junction.
In picture 1, the electric box to left of distributor cap has many wires terminating at multiple plug connection.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/19e513f4-252f-486d-9509-4cd.jpeg

Picture 2 shows all possible plugs that plug into that multiple plug. Many possible combos.
One done wrong will result in destruction of computer.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a0df3ea4-5ed0-4279-884c-687.jpeg