Profile Picture

High Work:

Posted By Rob Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Have not been able to work with the project the past several days. Probably another week or so as a family member continues to convalesce.

As she states: "It's hell to get old".

Thanks,

Disseminator of intimate knowledge of nothing about everything.

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
Yes, It will help me if I can revue what I remember from working on them with the manual. FLow rates/ presure to the motors will tell you if it is motor or the pump that is worn. I wouldn't be surprised if both motors pass too much, one slightly more than the other.
 When we had them, the F's were already old, but would for the most part, climb a beavertail (bi-fold tail) trailer without the aid of a winch line. It doesn't sound like yours are anywhere near being able to do that. A few of the 40' F's with clapped out VH4D Wisconcin's had trouble, but the 80's with either the 300 Ford's or the Whites were able to do so. 

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 44 minutes ago
Thank you.

Tony
Rob
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)5th Direct (920 reputation)

Thanks Tony. I have sent what I have to your email. I'll forward them to Geoff if he'd like also.

Rob
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Yes, of course.

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Rob could, would, will  you sent me the lift digital manuals you have? And maybe to Geoff if he'd like.

Tony
Rob
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Hi and just getting back from the b'day party. I only posted pressure readings as I didn't know if that excess flow at high pressure would destroy my flow meter so didn't keep it in the system after the initial spike and quickly plumbed into the pressure gauge and needle valve block only. Just a couple of weeks back I had taken the hose loose from the proportional valve block that runs to the drive wheels and capped the output of the valve. I then adjusted the main relief valve to the 2000psi reading with this valve block attempting to drive the wheels. I did not adjust anything else as didn't want to blow any hoses or sealing rings given the age of the machine.

With my gauge block and needle valve plumbed into a line running to the suspect motor, and with the needle valve closed, I could see 1500+ psi on the gauge indicated, and could hear the relief valve dumping in the valve block. I then began opening the needle valve and began experimenting with the pressure and flow rates to get the readings relayed earlier. After reading in the literature with the flow meter, and as per Tony's advice, I'll place it back into the system tomorrow and get full spectrum readings so we can progress. These are only -08 sized lines so the flow cannot be extremely out of range of the smaller flow meter.

Really appreciating the help and knowledge shared thus far. I'm learning and that in itself is enjoyable to me.

Thanks,

Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
Tony,
 Without a flow meter we are shooting in the dark. When I posted what I did, it was because Rob only gave pressure readings on the drive. If the main relief was low, that is all the drives will see. It is why they suggest starting with relief settings, once you KNOW for a fact the system can reach the pressures, then excessive flow indicates a bad component. Flow meters make it a little easier as you can see how much is flowing, but you still have to be sure you can achieve the pressure if the component is not bypassing internally.
 One of those things, flow and pressure are related to eachother and something that effects one effects the other as well.
 At some point he is going to want to set all the pressures anyway. 
 Yes, there are different  reliefs for different circuits.
 Since he has the manual, there should be the procedure for setting all the pressures. Its been 30 years since I was in it, I remember some but not all.
 From what I recall, it took all the pressure it could give not to stall out climbing a trailer ramp. 
 From what he posted the main relief is 2750 and then is further reduced from there either at the "bang-bang" (solenoid) relief or the individual proportional reliefs.

Rob
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Alright. I'll be able to get back onto it later this evening as headed to grand daughter's b'day party now and will be there a few hours.

Thanks,

Tony Bullard
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Use that flow meter. The worst that can happen is the meter will read 10 and you will know the motor is bypassing at least 10. It won't kill the meter. I think you may find it reading closer to 5 at an idle. And we don't care what the reading is.

Tony