Profile Picture

what happened to rob thread

Posted By Eddy Lucast 6 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Months Ago
Tony;

Thanks for jumping back in. My cognitive thinking skills are seriously compromised citing Covid. Short term memory is almost non existent. Not an excuse but plain fact as the simplest of tasks require great effort to both start, or complete.

I'm dropping out with this for a couple of weeks while continuing recovery. The lift is going nowhere and is inside my building.

I will attempt to shoot you a video showing what I have for test equipment, but no promises as to when. This will come to your email.

Best,

Rob

Disseminator of intimate knowledge of nothing about everything.

Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
What is the Ross motor #?

Tony
Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Rob (5/7/2021)

Found the problem           when pressure is applied only requiring 150-200psi of pressure to release the brake and rotate the wheel freely. 

Again with everything plumbed into the forward port of the motor, and brake release port running in parallel, the wheel readily spins. My pumping unit will run 0-6.5gpm wide open and is rated at 1500psi according the the books supplied with the unit.

Again with the machine tires lifted clear of the floor to spin freely , the free spinning left rear wheel was indicating 6.5gpm flowing.     I blocked this left rear wheel precluding it from spinning and it was passing almost 1.5gpm with the motor stalled both forward, and reverse.  I repeated the same interconnection scenario on the right rear wheel and could not stall this wheel with the same settings as the left rear wheel. 

, I had 1250psi indicated on the pressure gauge plumbed into the circuit and again 1.5gpm showing on the flow meter.

6.5 -1.5 = 5 gpm. Where did the other 5 gpm go?

Tony
Rob
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)5th Direct (955 reputation)

Thanks. Identification is what I was concerned about but the numbers converted right to Parker numbers and given nothing seems broken internally on either motor, I'll get seal kits and whatever else would normally wear in these things. I'm much more at ease with it than when first starting out for sure.

I have three Muncie 31V series three spool, and one four spool valves left over from my rollback days which are new. These have relief valves incorporated into the bodies and are awaiting a use so think I'm going to use a 10hp motor and large hydraulic pump along with a cooler to build a dedicated test stand after this lift project is complete. Muncie sold out their hydraulic valve division to Parker whom promptly discontinued the line.....

Looking into a hydraulics class at the local community college as I'm tiring of appearing an idiot with this crap and really don't have much intention of slowing down.

Geoff Weeks
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Good deal, that is 3/4 of the battle. Hope it goes smooth.
Rob
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Identified the hydraulic drive motors and converted over to new "Parker" numbers. Parts are readily available and rebuild kits will be ordered tomorrow morning.

Rob
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Hubs are fine on oil level when the drain plugs are at 3, and 9 O'clock positions. I looked in one of the manuals I have and it is referenced that way too. Thanks.

Spent a couple of hours on the internet researching for some type of references giving indication of normal, or threshold criteria to know when a hydraulic motor or pump is worn out. Can't really find anything of what I was actually looking for but a Char-Lyn catalog I have readily lists pertinent data for their new stuff. I'd like to see something such as a percentage of loss or internal bypass for instance. All kinds of examples of failed parts etc. and ready parts replacement that do not correct the original complaint.

Found my boxes of fittings last evening. Need to inventory as starting to sort hose routings and quantities required to rehose the machine. Many hoses have their rubber splitting and the wire braiding rusting so a blown hose is not far distant.

Haven't had the chance to use my crimping machine in a few years so need to dig it out also:

I've not worked on an end dump, trailer, or PTO in years now so really don't remember what I actually have, or need to purchase so inventorying is in order.

Rob
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Oh boy, a trip into Peoria at a blistering 3mph top speed!!!  An exciting 8 hour trip just in transport..... The hubs are not noisy or anything like that but I'd like to check the oil level. No leaks or evidence of leaks.

Thanks again!!

Geoff Weeks
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Going off 30 year+ memory, you place the plug at 10 or 2 O'clock and fill to that level with GL-1. It might be 3 or 9 O clock but I doubt it make much difference unless you are planning on driving the lift itself to Peoria in one long single trip! Just a set of planetary that need to run in an oilbath . 
 I've got to put a fuel tank on one truck today, but will see what I unearth in the barn that might be useful.
Rob
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Thanks a bunch!!!

It's amazing how much I've learned over the course of the lift repair. Never have been around much of the discussion but once on the track I cannot cease with the investigatory/learning part. Done a lot of repairs over the years but never really like being a "parts swapper" without understanding what that part actually did.

Quick question, is there a fill plug in the side of the planetary reduction hubs, or do you pull the center cap to add/check hub oil? There appears to be fill plug but they are jambed with debris.