Profile Picture

L10 vs M11

Posted By Jeff Wright 6 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Ok I'll look. Thanks
xcummins
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Jeff,

Engine number should be stamped on a pad at the rear of the block just below cylinder head height on your drivers side.

Newto
Jeff Wright
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)First Gear (76 reputation)

Thanks guys for the info. I thought most of everything would interchange, but was sure on what wouldn't. Newto, the engine data plate is gone so I unfortunately can't get you any numbers from it. The only thing I know is that it's a L-10 and supposedly rated at 300hp. This is because I bought it from the original owner. It's in my 1988 LTL9000. It's a little under powered for this hills and hollars here in TN. I thinking if I could get the M11, I can get one with a little more power and not have to move transmission and shorten the driveshaft. A little less work hopefully , than having to move everything else around too.

Jeff

Grab another gear and keep on trucking!
xcummins
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
power steer pump, air compressor, exhaust manifolds, flywheel housing, front engine mount, alternator brackets etc are all interchangeable.

As Geoff said....air intake options and cooling system (if the L10 is Optimised Cooling) are different........depending on what model L10....later ones used the same Water Pump as M11.......supply your L10 engine number and I can confirm what you have.
Cheers,
Newto
Geoff Weeks
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Cooling system is different between the L10 OAC and the M-11 full flow so the water pump may be different. As to brackets it depends on where the bolt on. P/S pump bolts to the timing case so should be the same. It is a good bet that most  will interchange, but the L-10 used an aftercooler bolted to the side of the engine, the M-11 uses the air to air in front of the radiator. SO brackety that bolts onto the aftercooler, would likely take some mod to fit the M-11. Things like the alternator should bolt in place as that mounts to the timing cover also IIRC.
Having said all that, unless you are buying a stripped down block, it will likely have those brackets on the M-11.
Jeff Wright
Posted 6 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Does anyone know if external parts on the L10 can be used on the M11? I know the are the same engine, except for the M11 has a bigger bore and longer stroke. Just wondering if power steering pump, water pump, compressor etc and brackets will work from one engine to the other.

Thanks, Jeff

Grab another gear and keep on trucking!