Profile Picture

Geoff

Posted By Aaron 4 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks guys for the info, I haven't heard from Pat I'll have to call to see whats going on.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
xcummins
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
any reputable parts supplier should allow him to swap the liners back to std if thats all he needs especially as he probably paid more for the oversize kit compared to std kit.

re the 30 psi....is that at max revs?.....should be 40 psi and 15/20 @ idle......depending on what DFC oil pump he has it could be the pump....( 2 different gear sizes & the smaller gear pump is very unforgiving if the gears are worn) or a busted piston cooler...orrrr....worn out bearings.

Newto

Aaron
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

He got the oversize kit already but hadn't torn it apart to see what it actually needs, plus he says it has 30# of oil pressure he may have bigger problems.

xcummins
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

Aaron,
your first post has ALL the liner numbers for N14 but doesn't say which one Tx mate got......sooooo.........more info pls......

Pittsburg Power are fine if he wants to Hot-Rod it but the basics re liners and block are still the same.

Cheers,

Newto
Aaron
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

I think the first post I made has the part numbers on it, the problem is the kid has talked to pistburg power and has some odd ideas already.

xcummins
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

You've covered it all splendidly Geoff.....

Aaron the standard liner fitted to N14's is usually the 3055099 part number which in an N14 is a lower press fit liner.....which p/n did your Tx mate buy???

If its the 3055099 then all should be good....I haven't seen a loose one of them in a N14, it is advisable to replace the shim that should be under the liner flange too....its usually 0.0205" p/n 3054948 .... squeezing the top of the block like Geoff says will expose a loose one if it exists.

If you have mate's engine number I can check what the engine was originally built with.

Cheers,

Newto
Geoff Weeks
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 58 minutes ago
N14 and Big Cam 4's used lower pressfit liners and pressfit was less likely to wear and leak like upper press fit design. As long as the press fit is good, no leaking between the head and block, you normally go back with whatever the liner part number you took out. Good reason to pull the heads before ordering a kit.  If it is real high miles and the liner moves in the block and.or leaks, you need to bore the block for oversize liners or salvage sleeves and std liners.
 Glenn's quick method of using large channel-lock pliers to "squeeze the top of the liner to the block while watching for coolant being forced out between liner and block has worked for me when looking for loose fitting liners. I haven't needed O/S liners on the lower press fit blocks I have done, but have on the upper press fit design.
 Again, if I am not clear, May be Newto (XCummins) can be of more help, he know Cummins like Glenn does.
Aaron
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

OK, I was kinda thinking that was what these were all about, but didn't know, so you would only need them if the lowers were worn, they wouldn't be something that is required is what I'm understanding.
 I ask because a young fellow in Tx wants to go thru his 14 and bought these then asks me if its whats needed, so he may have to bore the block when he doesn't need to.

Geoff Weeks
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

On the O/S the flange thickness is also greater so you can bore the ledge for the counter-bore deeper in the block without have to shim the liner a great deal. You still need a liner shim but not a thick shim because the flange is also thicker.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

The upper flange is the same diameter. These are lower press fit liners, so the inference portion is below the upper flange. Yes, you have to bore the block to use them. It is for when the lower press fit area has become worn and no longer holds the liner. 
Just like with the upper press fit, where the flange was where it pressed into the block, they made oversize upper press fit liner where the flange is larger and you had to bore the block, the same is done with the lower press fit.
 Most blocks with upper press fit liners can be retro fitted to the lower press fit design by boreing the block to accept the OVERSIZE lower press fit liner. The std lower press fit liner would be loose in an upper press fit bock, the lower press fit area in the block of upper press fit (older) blocks is too large, so you cut the block below the counter-bore to the oversize liner and you then can use lower pressfit liners in a block original fitted for upper press fit.
 I don't know if I am being clear, if not let me know, I'll try again, or may be Glenn or Newto can explain better.