Profile Picture

Where to find parts for old hydraulic brakes?

Posted By WrenchR 5 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago

White Post Resto does stainless sleeve as well.  You could give them a call and inquire.

https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/

Jim

All brands of turbochargers professionally rewound and synchronized.
                                         ------------------------
               This is sketchy even by my standards...   Uncle Tony

Aaron
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
After my last experence with over the counter wheel cylinders I'm a fan of sending them out to be sleeved, also I've found that with sitting with no use new cylinders tend to start leaking, upon taking them apart they have started to rust, crappy metal used in them is all I can think.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
WrenchR
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Thanks for the tips and info! As you suggested Aaron, I cleaned off the wheel cylinder and found “Wagner-Lockheed FD-682”, which cross referenced to a NAPA number “UP 1012”. I have two of them on the way. Also, after sniffing around the web I think I’ve identified the brake assembly as a Meritor Duplex Hydraulic unit. Hopefully a spring kit is as easy to find as the wheel cylinders.
Aaron
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Steve I gave up on buying new on the wheel cylinders and masters, too much junk out there, I've been sending everything out and have them stainless sleeved.
 I got in a hurry last year and bought two for a 52 Dodge 1 ton, put them on snapped on the springs and walked back to the right side and the cylinder was leaking with just spring pressure and the fluid in the front cross over line, I took it apart and there was a huge scratch in the bottom of it, that one came from mexico, I sent the old ones out to get sleeved.
 I tried Apple a couple times they were priced way too high and there work wasn't that good, now this was 20 years ago, I've used a company up in Oregon or Washington, can't remember which, for the odd ball stuff like the Houdallie shocks and what not, I've had good luck with them.

dieselsteveo
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)Third Gear (380 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
100% agree with Aaron. Reline the brake shoes. For the cylinders, It’s usually cheaper to buy new where you can, and save rebuilding for the hard-to-find parts or parts where you feel keeping the original is important.

I’m a fan of Apple Hydraulics. They’re masterfully rebuilt a number of hard to find brake master and wheel cylinders for us. http://www.applehydraulics.com/
Aaron
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

There should be  a number on the wheel cylinders and that tells you who and what they are for parts, but the parts do not need to be specific to a vehicle, an 1 1/2 wheel cylinder is just that, rubber cups are available for cylinders just by size, but what you need is a brake shop that can reline your shoes and they will be able to repair or send out the cylinders to have rebuilt, I use a shop in Southern ca that sleeves and has parts for cylinders and there is one in Texas that a lot of people use.

WrenchR
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)First Gear (25 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Hi everyone, I’m working on the rear brakes on my Oshkosh (w-514) with a Detroit rear axle. The truck had been sitting for about 20 years and the brakes need attention: seized adjusters, rust jacking on the linings, and the aluminum pistons in the wheel cylinders have turned to white powder. From the photos, can anyone recognize the manufacturer of these brakes and possibly recommend a good supplier for parts? Thanks in advance!