Profile Picture

Talk about ingenuity!!

Posted By Tony Bullard 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 1:59:36 AM
I am guessing that on the original side mount tractor, it pulled the field current off the tractors electrical system, I don't see a attached generator on the side mounts, but could be where I don't see it. I don't know what voltage the field winding is made to use, so that may be another reason why on the remote (PTO) and Bed mount (Truck PTO) they used a DC gen. Edit: I do see the stand alone genny on the side of the tractor mount, I thought I was seeing the tractors genny. Might have used it 24 or higher volt field that needed it, but like you say, why not on the end of the alternator itself?
 Don Olsen's is the one I supplied governor parts for. Normally the control is side mounted on the distributor like a mechanical tach drive. The actual throttle mounted under the carb is vacuum controlled. I don't know how well it holds the rpm over sudden changes in load, but are fairly good for automotive speed limiting.
 Don was having trouble locating the intake manifold half of the system. The Electroll he had already had the control part.
 The problem was, the small six IHC engines used a velocity gov if governed at all. I had one from a medium six (282) that he had to modify to fit the smaller stud spacing the small six used. The medium six was more often fitted with a governor, but most often it was the 308 which had a 2bbl. Finding a 1bbl with the Centrvac governor, with the correct stud spacing turned out to be an impossible task, and the 282 gov was used. I passed along the control unit also incase he had problems with his in the future.
 When he 1st queried about a gov for the small 6 I thought he was looking for a velocity governor, and I couldn't see how that would work. Then he posted a drawing and I had a "dawn over Marblehead" moment and realized I had something that might work. 
 I would love to see it in action and put it through its paces on a load bank.
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I guess that’s what is referred to as a limiting speed governor. A centrifugal pneumatic valve like the old fly ball governors.

Also interesting how they used an automotive type generator for the exciter fields instead of building into the generator armature with a commutator like most other generators had at that time.

Here's a bunch more on those IH generators: https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-tractors/electrall/

Tony
Geoff Weeks
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:59:36 AM
Actually they are "re inventing the wheel". IHC made a truck mount  PTO driven generator set up. They made a version for tractors and for pick-up's. You can see it here:
OldIHC • View topic - 1957 S-100 Electrall truck
 Uses the vacuum governor that many heavier trucks used with the control on the back of the generator head and vacuum lines to the engine mounted gov between the carb and intake.  engage the PTO and pull the hand throttle all the way out, and the generator mounted control, holds the speed.
 I'm not sure how close it held the Hz, but in many cases that wasn't too critical.
 I was able to supply the gov parts for this build (restoration), as they are none to common.
 Still, I like what Tony posted, shows some outside the box thinking.
jhancock
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It is an interesting setup!

Wonder if the builder's nickname is Sparky...?

Jim

All brands of turbochargers professionally rewound and synchronized.
                                         ------------------------
                        No one ever said "My garage is just too big".
                                          ----------------------
           Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you are right.

Brocky
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Tony, Thanks for the info.. I did not catch the governor set up!! Yankee ingenuity at it's best!!
I am wondering if the drive is a PTO off the tranny or a transfer case type set up like a fire truck?? I would say it would be a very heavy load for a normal PTO???

Brocky
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
From Tom's, oldspwr’s Springfield pictures.

Power generation truck.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/9b91679b-46fa-480e-979d-189b.jpg

PTO driven AC generator.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/33f20aeb-69b7-473c-962b-8a29.jpg

AC electric motor driving a mechanical governor hooked to driving engine.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0e1f04a3-bb99-4bb7-a85d-ec73.jpg

Simple enough. The generator slows from being loaded. The motor driving the governor slows and in response the governor increases the speed of the engine  driving the generator.

With everything done by computers today I wonder if the new generation will get to use their imagination in this way.

Tony