Profile Picture

We've been obsolete'd

Posted By Eddy Lucast 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 days ago
They are one big blunder followed by one big lawsuit away from going away for years.  So when one of these hits a pedestrian.. who pays and who goes to jail if there is negligence found?  Automation like that has existed in aviation for years - the capability to do it but it is never trusted enough to remove the pilots.  And then there is hacking into the system and having it do some form of terrorism or deliver to a criminal site.  If a single operator is operating a bunch of these at once.. one disappears or is spoofed into thinking everything is hunky dory, meanwhile someone else has control of the machine and is doing what they will with it.  Then there is the cost of entry.  This might work in a controlled city environment for at most near regional service.  It will be unlikely to operate nationwide for some time.  I note all the electric trucks they are pushing are very much geared towards a metro operation and not any real distances.  Lithium has gone up something like 200% in the past year or more and meanwhile the greens are suing to stop lithium and other mining in Cali and Nevada.. that is one of my big complaints.  They demand you use the technology and then fight you when you try to make it here.. seems rather corrupt if you ask me.  If you aren't willing to bear the burden, you damn well better not force everyone to use it otherwise I would consider you some sort of traitor working for a foreign power.. hmmm maybe they are and just don't know it.

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

Frank Surber
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
wayne graham (7/4/2022)
Frank, Do you rekon they will all reminisce about the good old days and how good they used to be?

That probably wouldn't happen until they are 50 or 60 years old 

Double Mountain manufacturing LLC
Don't try and tell me what I can't do, try to convince me of what you can do
wayne graham
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:32:15 AM
Frank, Do you rekon they will all reminisce about the good old days and how good they used to be?

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Frank Surber
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Last Active: 15 hours ago
In the cases of the I45 and I10 incidents it sounds to me as if the drivers of the hit and run vehicles targeted the Waymo trucks to try and see how the trucks would react. hoping it would over correct and crash on its own without hitting them, to create a bad public image of the driverless or semi-autonomous vehicles. This is probably the root of some of the crashes of the self drive cars.
My question is though, in 25 or 30 years when these fully autonomous trucks start driving themselves to truck shows will they be there to admire themselves 

Double Mountain manufacturing LLC
Don't try and tell me what I can't do, try to convince me of what you can do
Aaron
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/behind-scenes-waymo-worst-automated-184339003.html
Do a copy and paste on the above link, this just backs up what Geoff said.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Geoff Weeks
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:59:36 AM
Ahh, not quite yet, as these "not ready for prime time plays show:
Fleet of driverless cars block street causing traffic chaos for hours (msn.com)
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)13th Over (6.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Put Elon Musk boring machine to work. Eliminate all weather and traffic concerns.
Give it a third rail to recharge batteries in route use it for long distance van loads

Double Mountain Manufacturing LLC
EddyLucast@hotmail.com 
203-228-1961

Geoff Weeks
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:59:36 AM
Well, I can see so many problems. Yes, people want to show off a prototype doing something, however there was a long learning curve from the Wright Bro at Kitty Hawk and intern-continental air travel. Remember, there were two world wars where aviation was a big player, in-between Kitty Hawk and wide spread air travel, 40-50 years.  
 When it comes to trucking, you might, as is done between plants in Co and AZ, be able to move trailers under some conditions. 
 Lets look at flat-bedding. right now the only place I have seen the shipper, tie down the load, was moving bees. Who will take responsibility  for securement? Who will get sued if there is a failure? Over weight and placement of load?
 Other have mentioned weather and road related problems. 
 Yes, under near ideal conditions, autonomous trucks can shuttle trailers between drop yards, but right now that is about the extent of the tech. Even then, there are problem with the software not recognizing hazards or "loosing them" when the do initially. 
 If you want to automate a transportation mode, Rail make the most sense to start with, it is highly automated already.  Even there, unless you retrofit all rolling stock to transmit its condition to the engine, I can see the cars going off the rails and the engine pulling harder until the whole thing comes off the rails.
 It takes "dreamers" to move us forward, but takes responsibility to keep us safe. 
If the shipper, receiver and carrier are all the same company, I can see them taking the risk, but where there are three different entities subject to liability, I think it will only take the 1st big law suit to see people backpedal from the tech.
 I can't see automation in local towns and city type driving. 
Bill Bradford
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Brocky, they add an icon/switch on the computer of the geek doing the programming it says "dry road... slippery road".

Brocky
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Tony,
Thanks for the clarification.. I figured there must be some kind of control?? BUT I will still wonder if the computers will be as programmed well enough for slippery conditions as us old time drivers have learned??? Can a desk jockey computer programmer put our experience into the computer??

Brocky